Hats off to the Nelson pub

goldenfleece

The Nelson is across the road from MacDonalds at the top of the Moor on the road that runs across the top of the Moor. [i forget what that road is called].

If there was room to sit downstairs it can't of been as busy as it used to get 25 years ago, in those days the downstairs would get so crowded the tables often got turned upside down to make another few inches of standing room.

I must really get down there one day!!

I agree Nelson is best rock bar in town centre. My mate works there, and they are talking of having bands on downstairs in due course.

At weekends Upstairs is Nu rock, and downstairs is classic rock. DJ les (rebels etc..) has been on last few saturdays downstairs when I've been there.

Although I think they only open downstairs bar at weekends.

Watch out for the pic of Bob monkhouse(r.i.p.). on the way out. :D

Originally posted by muddycoffee

I agree Nelson is best rock bar in town centre. My mate works there, and they are talking of having bands on downstairs in due course.

At weekends Upstairs is Nu rock, and downstairs is classic rock. DJ les (rebels etc..) has been on last few saturdays downstairs when I've been there.

Although I think they only open downstairs bar at weekends.

Watch out for the pic of Bob monkhouse(r.i.p.). on the way out. :D

Have to be quite small bands if they are playing downstairs!! Where would they put the drum kit? Its a bit cramped with more than 30 people in it, but still a fine atmosphere and much preferred to the SPORTSMAN which used to be the only rock pub in town until recently.

Now if only they could extend into the next building.......we need somewhere the size of the old Wapentake again!!

On Xmas Eve it was like taking a trip back 25 years. I saw many faces who have not been seen in town for many years now. Wow, it was almost like it was 1980 all over again. Of course, everyone had aged slightly.....just slightly. The music at certain points was pure classic rock, and had the Newcastle Brown ale been priced at 48 pence a bottle, it WOULD have been 1980!!!

Well in the 1990s I played lots of gigs upstairs, when the venue was the Hind. It was a good small venue, but the bar is now in the place where the band used to set up, so that's out. I think you could put on a decent show downstairs if you didn't play too loud. They could do jam or acoustic nights ok. We used to do unplugged gigs upstairs, as it was the days of the MTV unplugged shows. I used to thoroughly enjoy this kind of gig because most guitarists are incapable of playing at a sensible volume level, and with acousitic guitars it made the show more pleasent for everyone.

Archived