Lost Pub Search

Vic787

I am researching my family in Sheffield and have received some information that my grandfather Walter Smith was the licensee of a Public House in the centre of Sheffield. I suspect that it was sometime aroud 1919/20. It is said that he also kept horses to hire to carters to help pull them up Scotland Street.

Does anyone have any knowledge ? Thanks for looking

Hi VIC

If you live in Sheffield, try looking in the WHITE's or KELLY's directories in Local Studies in Central Library on Surrey Street.

If Walter was a landlord in c. 1920 you should find him in one of those.

Happy hunting.

BillyWhiz

Good idea, BillyWhiz - I have a CD with the 1925 Kelly's directory and I just had a look. The only Walter Smith listed as a publican was the licensee of the "Anvil Inn" at 22-24 Waingate. This was on the right-hand side of Waingate going down the hill, next-door-but-one to the "Bull & Mouth". A photo of both can be found on the picturesheffield.com website - see: http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/picturesheffield.pl?_cgifunction=form&_layout=picturesheffield&keyval=sheff.refno=s20255

Archived