Worst Christmas present

...<edit> But I must admit I used to hate those knittted jumpers from the aunties

<soapbox>If you're talking about hand-knit jumpers... a huge amount of time, effort and skill goes into knitting a jumper, especially if multiple colours are used (from basic stripes to intarsia and Fair Isle; the latter especially can be jaw-droppingly labour-intensive, as well as deeply lovely). Ask a knitter how much fun seaming and setting in sleeves can be... Depending on what you choose to knit with, the pattern and the size, a jumperful of yarn can set you back £70 or so, so it's not an inexpensive option either.

I know children can be ungrateful, unappreciative little buggers and if they're very young they probably know no better, but if you're lucky enough to receive a hand-knit item as a grown-up, then know that it's an indication that you're loved. So, smile and look happy when you receive your hand-knit jumper this Christmas. If you don't like it, I'll happily take it off your hands for unravelling and yarn recycling :D .</soapbox>

<soapbox>If you're talking about hand-knit jumpers... a huge amount of time, effort and skill goes into knitting a jumper, especially if multiple colours are used (from basic stripes to intarsia and Fair Isle; the latter especially can be jaw-droppingly labour-intensive, as well as deeply lovely). Ask a knitter how much fun seaming and setting in sleeves can be... Depending on what you choose to knit with, the pattern and the size, a jumperful of yarn can set you back £70 or so, so it's not an inexpensive option either.

I know children can be ungrateful, unappreciative little buggers and if they're very young they probably know no better, but if you're lucky enough to receive a hand-knit item as a grown-up, then know that it's an indication that you're loved. So, smile and look happy when you receive your hand-knit jumper this Christmas. If you don't like it, I'll happily take it off your hands for unravelling and yarn recycling :D .</soapbox>

Didn't mean to sound ungrateful!! Just remembering I felt hard done to at the time. As you do when you are a kid and everyone else is getting bikes/Sindy dolls etc. But can also remember a Christmas when times were hard for mum and dad, and i had to pick a pattern out of the wool shop catalogue, mum knitted it, she knitted it on some kind of circular needle thing and I had to try it on blindfolded to make sure it fit before she sent it off to Father Christmas. I loved that jumper to bits!!! And wore it for years. Wish I knew how to knit now. It's lovely that I am able to buy my friends' kids lovely clothes from reasonably priced stores (you couldn't years ago, it was an expensive set from Mothercare or nothing) but what is lovelier than a hand knitted pair of bootees? Do people still do that? I hope so and maybe I'll learn one day! If only to annoy my nieces and nephews with fine hand crafted garments which they do not appreciate until they are older.:hihi:

Didn't mean to sound ungrateful!! Just remembering I felt hard done to at the time. As you do when you are a kid and everyone else is getting bikes/Sindy dolls etc. But can also remember a Christmas when times were hard for mum and dad, and i had to pick a pattern out of the wool shop catalogue, mum knitted it, she knitted it on some kind of circular needle thing and I had to try it on blindfolded to make sure it fit before she sent it off to Father Christmas. I loved that jumper to bits!!! And wore it for years.

Aww, that's so cute:thumbsup:

Archived