Reborn baby dolls - seriously creepy.

I think the woman making them is SAD and SICK also the woman who had various DOLLS not babies as she referred to them she also had so many prams and spent a fortune in Harrods buying this DOLL she was going to America for, and in the end didnt bring it home as its head got cracked in transit, her head must be cracked to even think these DOLLS are BABIES go get a life and a realchild nowonder they get funny looks pushing a pram with a doll in it.

I got the feeling that the woman who makes the reborns was calling them babies simply to humour her clients .... after all i bet she was charging £500+ per 'baby'. She was the only one who seemed to have her head screwed on right .... but she could hardly call her clients and prospective clients nutters could she?

I got the feeling that the woman who makes the reborns was calling them babies simply to humour her clients .... after all i bet she was charging £500+ per 'baby'. She was the only one who seemed to have her head screwed on right .... but she could hardly call her clients and prospective clients nutters could she?

Agree with you here - it seemed to me that she was making the dolls as a business and saw it more as a craft or art than somehow immaculately conceiving real babies... bet she made a mint too!

Anyway I bet nothing brings home the realism like pumping silicone filler in through their eyes...

beemerchez, it's really interesting to learn a bit more about the actual process of making them. But how much feedback or knowledge did you have about your customers? When I started the thread I was unsure of whether the role-playing pretend motherhood thing was typical in the reborn culture or the reserve of a small number of slightly disturbed women. It still wasn't clear in the programme whether or not they had just picked from a tiny handful of extreme cases or whether their stance was considered normal in that club? Do you just pack the dolls to anonymous people, or is there some other correspondence? What sort of women were your customers, or was it impossible to say?

i doubt any 'small local business' like the woman in the programme would disclose that much info, it'd be too damaging to her business. The larger 'faceless' businesses probably would, but rarely get much background on their clients.

I must admit, this has fascinated me (in a sick spooky way) ... and ive visited some 'reborn forums' .... and it seems like they do treat their dolls like babys, telling eachother where they've been with 'lilly sue', what they've bought her etc etc etc .... seriously strange

i doubt any 'small local business' like the woman in the programme would disclose that much info, it'd be too damaging to her business. The larger 'faceless' businesses probably would, but rarely get much background on their clients.

I must admit, this has fascinated me (in a sick spooky way) ... and ive visited some 'reborn forums' .... and it seems like they do treat their dolls like babys, telling eachother where they've been with 'lilly sue', what they've bought her etc etc etc .... seriously strange

I am totally the same as you, I saw the advert for the programme then saw Purdy's post and I was sooo intreasted in the reason's why people have these dolls, and the whole process. I am going to go and have a look on the reborn forums...

I still stand by the fact that I don't like the dolls, but I won't judge those who buy them. Although I really found thats 80's throwback permed haired lady on the programme blooming awful!!!

I thought there was something suspect about this. Did you notice that the camera panned to the cash till display at the end of the transaction and it read purchase -£294.00 and balance £0.00? I wonder if it was just a media exercise and these purchases weren't actually made in the end. Also, with her saying the new doll was damaged and it had to go back, I almost predicted that happening, after I'd seen the Harrods sideshow. Am I too suspicious or just a bit canny?

I think the director will have used a fair bit of artistic license, to be honest. I'm sure the women were asked to act out certain scenarios during filming, such as purchasing clothes, pushing prams and parking in the 'parent and child' bays, to make things more interesting. I don't doubt that some of them act like this even when the camera stops rolling, though.

I watched the programme and was half shocked, half amused. But my overriding thought was how much money those women wasted on their reborns, accessories, etc. I guess it's their hobby (albeit an expensive one) and they can spend their money how they like, but if they're so 'maternal' (as one kept trumpeting) then surely they could do worse than donate a portion of what they spend to a children's charity?

I think her grandson "Harry" (who i assumed had died by the way she went on for the 1st 30 minutes) summed it up perfectly with the immortal line "its a doll Nan you numbnut"

Quality

I loved that line too - how funny!!! And yes I thought the same that he had died. The thing is the woman has a web camera set up, I know it's not the same as seeing him in the flesh every day but at least she can still see him.

I bought the stuff needed to stard making the dolls a couple of years ago, after we bought a reborn for my daughter. I would never have imagined that people would actually treat them a real babies! I once got on the bus, carrying my daughter's doll, and promptly passed it to my daughter (by the arm). The look on the bus drivers face was a picture:hihi:

the best bit of the programme was when perm woman said of her new cracked doll " She is still smiling, even though she is injurted":loopy:

I never got round to making any dolls, but I am considering it now, it looks like really good monet to me, who cares who buys them.

beemerchez, it's really interesting to learn a bit more about the actual process of making them. But how much feedback or knowledge did you have about your customers? When I started the thread I was unsure of whether the role-playing pretend motherhood thing was typical in the reborn culture or the reserve of a small number of slightly disturbed women. It still wasn't clear in the programme whether or not they had just picked from a tiny handful of extreme cases or whether their stance was considered normal in that club? Do you just pack the dolls to anonymous people, or is there some other correspondence? What sort of women were your customers, or was it impossible to say?

hi

i just made them and put the finish doll on ebay.

after all if they didn't sell it didn't matter to me.

they didn't eat anything or want anything so cost nothing to keep :)

one lady had 4 off me. she collected them.as there all different.

i guess like some people collect the pot face ones,

or collecters of anything i guess,!!!

i sent 2 to a ebayer in america,

i used to sell maybe one or 2 a week.

it was just a hobby to me i used to like the way they turned out

i was in a doll group and found out through them a bit about how to do them, plus i got the gist of it when i dismantled the one i bought..lol

i was fasinated how real it looked. so opened it up to see how it was done.

i can talk you through making one if you want step by step and the things you need most of you can gey from hobby craft.

the cloth body you will need to buy off ebay and the wig

unless you want to root the hair. then you will need mohair

there is a complete reborn kit you can buy with everything in,

dont know how much.

as i said it was just a hobby to me, but the dolls looked amazing when finished.

you do hold them as you would a real baby as you have to support the head only its fastoned on with a plastic tie.

you dont want its head dropping off while showing someone do you.:o that would freak them out..lol

also >>>> now you will all think i have lost the plot.:rolleyes:

untill you have finished it you dont know if you are doing a boy or a girl...? ok sounds daft but its true............

i have put boy clothes on a few of them and blue just wasan't right..

so had to change the clthes to a girls....

any reborners reading this will know what i mean..lol

i also did teeny tiny ones. i sold a lot of these at christmas time,on ebay, i think mothers bought them for there little daugters to sit on there dressing tables.

also there like a keep sake as looked after last forever.

here's 2 of the tiny ones i did 8 inch tall.

p.m me if you want to know more about reborning and will give you my email....

can i just add.. I DONT have kids but dont treat these as a baby,

on saying that there less trouble..lol

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j47/beemerchez/ROSE.jpg

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j47/beemerchez/ttim.jpg

Archived