Reborn baby dolls - seriously creepy.

Did anyone see the documentary about Real Dolls? Similarly creepy because they were designed to be realistic and ended up all the more creepy because of it.

These kind of documentaries a just a form of freak show. You're meant to find them weird, that's the whole point.

Yes, I agree with you here.Years ago they sometimes wouldnt even let women see their dead babies, but today they are photographed with them, which I think is all part of the grieving process.

I think they are encouraged to, as it is all part of the greiving process, for example having foot/ hand prints and pictures. I think you can even send the reborners pictures and they will match it.

I am sad that people may class the documentary as a type of freak show, I think if you dig deeper there will be more to it then just collecting these dolls. I hope it dosn't come across in a weird way if you know what I mean.

I think they are encouraged to, as it is all part of the greiving process, for example having foot/ hand prints and pictures. I think you can even send the reborners pictures and they will match it.

I am sad that people may class the documentary as a type of freak show, I think if you dig deeper there will be more to it then just collecting these dolls. I hope it dosn't come across in a weird way if you know what I mean.

Yes, I do know what you mean here. If one hasnt been through losing a baby , you cannot know what these women are going through.

Yes, I do know what you mean here. If one hasnt been through losing a baby , you cannot know what these women are going through.

Thanks Pattricia that is what I was meaning to say :)

I think it is very easy to pass judgement, walk a few miles in there shoes and then pass comment. I hope they do the doccumentary tastefully and not to make the woman involved look like what they are doing is wrong/ weird. xxx

Did anyone see the documentary about Real Dolls? Similarly creepy because they were designed to be realistic and ended up all the more creepy because of it.

These kind of documentaries a just a form of freak show. You're meant to find them weird, that's the whole point.

I am not talking about the documentary, I am talking about the dolls. If I had found out about the dolls without there being a documentary about, I would have reacted in exactly the same way. That's why I put this in general D instead of Entertainment (as I said). :)

And bigthanks, I'm not some heartless laugher at cot death parents (if your comments were aimed at the OP). Nothing I or anyone has said disrespects or judges parents of cot death babies in any way. The dolls are not presented as bereavement aids, so I am not treating them as such, or at least not solely. I'm not sure why people feel the need to say it's up to the individual to buy them, of course it's up to the individual if they want to buy one, I'm not asking for them to be banned. And it's up to me as an individual if I think they are creepy and disturbing, which I do. :)

I am just interested in the mental landscape of an adult who would want one of these. Because I am interested in people, and psychology, and why people do things etc.

I had a senior moment trying to work out this thread.....my first gut reaction was that mothers who have lost babies will be able to have any photographs of their dead child turned into these dolls.....and I can't begin to imagine what kind of grief any parent would be going through to do this.

Then others postees talk about them being dolls for children to play with - have I interpreted this right?

And reading the info on the site they do say they can "custom make" dolls and another thought came to mind.

Say in 20 years time a big strapping lad brings his first girlfriend home to meet him mum and the mother produces a replica of how her little boy looked when he was born......if I was the girlfriend I would run a mile :hihi:

I had a senior moment trying to work out this thread.....my first gut reaction was that mothers who have lost babies will be able to have any photographs of their dead child turned into these dolls.....and I can't begin to imagine what kind of grief any parent would be going through to do this.

Then others postees talk about them being dolls for children to play with - have I interpreted this right?

And reading the info on the site they do say they can "custom make" dolls and another thought came to mind.

Say in 20 years time a big strapping lad brings his first girlfriend home to meet him mum and the mother produces a replica of how her little boy looked when he was born......if I was the girlfriend I would run a mile :hihi:

It would be especially creepy if the mother got photos of both her son and his girlfriend and had a doll made that looked like the baby they could have together. :shocked:

I was as confused as you, Julado, which is why I started the thread. I'm really surprised I've not seen these before even in passing, on Graham Norton or in Metro or wherever, just as a curiosity.

I saw the trailer for the documentary too. Thanks for posting a link to the site, i've had a look through it.

I guess a lot of children love to have dolls and the more 'realistic' they are the better they're seen to be - having them, cry, pee, drink pretend bottles etc all adds to the fun for a small child. But from what I can tell, these dolls are not meant as toys, they're collectors items and quite pricey too.

A few years ago there used to be some similar dolls advertised in magazines, but they were still obviously dolls and not realistic imitation babies - which is what i'd call these we're talking about here.

I find it quite sad as well as a bit scarey, that someone would want or feel the need for an imitation baby so much that they treat it as a real baby. If a friend of mine bought one and started treating it as a real baby, I would seriously worry about their emotional well-being.

Archived