Reborn baby dolls - seriously creepy.

I showed them to my 8 yr old Daughter. I said come and look at this cutie (pertendin that it was real) she was ahhhh Mum it's so cute! When I told her it was a doll she was quite freaked out. I thought she would have begged me for one.

mines 7 .... and she is begging, I'm with your daughter on this one ... they freak me out, they look like dead babys :(

mines 7 .... and she is begging, I'm with your daughter on this one ... they freak me out, they look like dead babys :(

I agree with you, as I said prev a friend ordered one and she called me over to have a look and it really did freak me out. They are sooo lifelike. I ws looking on ebay earlier at prices of the etc just out of intrest. There was one that was so damn real and it had a little mothercare outfit on with a avent dummy.

Does anyone know what exactley happens in the reborning process?

What I want to know is how anyone would would be able to give one away or anything when they'd had enough of it? I'd feel weird doing that to anything which looked so real.

Now I'm getting visions of them lying on boot sale tables or in antique shops. Or even half-buried in landfill sites. *shudders*.

Well if there's one thing this thread has shown it's what mixed, confusing feelings people have, and I'm still none the wiser about the precise reasoning behind the concept - collectible, interactive curiosity or therapeutic aid? :confused:

I believe some schoolchildren are handed lifelike dolls to shock them into considering the possible consequences of a reckless adolescent lovelife. I wonder what the educational baby dolls are like compared to the reborns, and would the reborns have an extra creep factor to get the message home?

The only models I've seen so realistic are by sculptor Ron Mueck. Exact in every detail, there is, however one aspect of his works that make them obviously not real!

I believe some schoolchildren are handed lifelike dolls to shock them into considering the possible consequences of a reckless adolescent lovelife. I wonder what the educational baby dolls are like compared to the reborns, and would the reborns have an extra creep factor to get the message home?

The only models I've seen so realistic are by sculptor Ron Mueck. Exact in every detail, there is, however one aspect of his works that make them obviously not real!

The educational dolls are called "baby think it over". They don't look at all as real as the reborn dolls. When I worked with the youth service I had training with the dolls and they are as life like as you can get to a real baby (if that makes sense), they need love, routine, food and changing and wake at all hours. There was one "baby" that came from a "parent" that had a herion addiction, so the baby had all the symptoms, it was upsetting, but all too real. :(

The link Purdy is very scary, even more sacry than those damn dolls!!!! :hihi:

Archived