Change name on TV licence?

From what I gather, you buy it in the name of Algernon Q. Postlethwaite if you felt like it. The licensing authority doesn't care who HAS a licence for a particular address, only that there is one.

Makes sense to do it in your own name though, just in case someone reports you for abusing Mr. Postlethwaite's licence without his permission :P

If your licence is in the name of say "mrs Smith" and you go out and by a TV in the name of "mr Smith" you will still get one of their bloody anoying harrasement letters saying there is no licence in the name of the person who has just bought a TV at your address.

You then have to ring the 0870 number at megabucks rates to get them off your back.:rant::rant::rant::rant:

The next TV I buy will be bought in the name of mr H Simpson 743 Evergreen Terrace.................. :hihi:

If your licence is in the name of say "mrs Smith" and you go out and by a TV in the name of "mr Smith" you will still get one of their bloody anoying harrasement letters saying there is no licence in the name of the person who has just bought a TV at your address.

You then have to ring the 0870 number at megabucks rates to get them off your back.:rant::rant::rant::rant:

The next TV I buy will be bought in the name of mr H Simpson 743 Evergreen Terrace.................. :hihi:

naaah, seeing as you have a legal, valid, current TV licence, you just wait till the PITA's come hammering on your door, and then you shove the framed, current license up their noses, and ask them

a) why a computer cannot marry up a license, an address and a name that all connect, and

b) why they are wasting resources chasing up an address which has a valid license.

(or send the letters back to them, in the addressed envelope, without a stamp...)

When my ex- left, I rang up TV Licensing to change the name and they just said they had to cancel that license and start a new one in my name.

Exactly what I was told.

I was also told that between the time of my ex leaving and me changing the license into my name, I was effectively watching tv without a valid tv license.

Archived