Winter in Sheffield

Squasher

My husband and son are traveling to Sheffield from New York tomorrow for a squash tournament and will be in town until about the 6th. What to do on New Year's Eve with a 12 year old, and where to dine near Leopold Square during the duration of their trip? They both have very sophisticated palates, hate any kind of chain restaurants, and always will go for anything authentic and local. All suggestions will be greatly appreciated, particularly when it comes to figuring out how to spend New Year's Day, assuming that many places will be closed. Thanks!

My husband and son are traveling to Sheffield from New York tomorrow for a squash tournament and will be in town until about the 6th. What to do on New Year's Eve with a 12 year old, and where to dine near Leopold Square during the duration of their trip? They both have very sophisticated palates, hate any kind of chain restaurants, and always will go for anything authentic and local. All suggestions will be greatly appreciated, particularly when it comes to figuring out how to spend New Year's Day, assuming that many places will be closed. Thanks!

Hi Squasher. Welcome to the forum!

A couple of bits of info for you. Leopold Square has several independant restaurants so they should be ok for eating out there, and Division Street/West Street is 5 minutes walk, and also good for food.

One suggestion for New Years Day would be the soccer match between Sheffield Wednesday and Preston. Kick off 3pm. Easy to get to the stadium either via taxi or tram. Might be worth trying to sort tickets before the day though.

Jim:thumbsup:

There are a number of restaurants around Leopold Square, there's also a big concentration of restaurants on London Road and Ecclesall Road (about 5 minutes outside the City Centre), with London Road offering mainly international fayre.

There are also a number of pubs and bars that do decent food although I would suggest dining reasonably early to avoid getting mixed up with new year revellers (avoid the chain bars though - tend to be reheated pre-prepared meals). The Wig and Pen in the city centre is reasonable, I'm told the Sanctuary is too. Out of town the Cricket Inn at Totley and Coach & Horses in Dronfield do good food and are part owned by the Thornbridge MicroBrewery.

However if you are venturing out of town please bear in mind that most public transport stops operating between 6 and 8pm on new years eve, and only the trams and trains operate on new years day - therefore you may need to book a taxi.

You may find useful information and contacts for your visit on the Sheffield City Council website - http://www.sheffield.gov.uk.

Archived