Shopping in Firth Park in the 60's/70's

shaznay

What was the name of the record shop next to Bunny's where i bought loads of 78's such as Be Bop a Lula, Rock island line, Heartbreak Hotel' and That'll be the day,?????

Oh you've got me thinking now, the bloke who owned it was called Ray cos he used to live a few doors down from us on Bellhouse. I'm not sure if they used to call it Rays records. They used to have a couple of booths where you used to put big ear phones on to listen to the music. I still walk down n shop at firth park, my other half still shakes his head when I say I've been in fine fare. As for the paragon chippy, that was a treat to walk down the road and sit in the back cafe to eat your fish and chips. The nearest decent chippy to firth park now in my opinion is darnall.

lol, me and my brother too, eee them were the days eh. often tell my kids about grass sledgeing, they dont get it, if you were lucky you jumped off before you got to the stream (sewer outlet)

does any one remember the prefab hut thing that was at the side of the playground, they had kids discos there (think they were on fridays) used to play in park then go there

i remember the hut went to youth club there a few times before it got burned to the ground.

my mum still lives in the area & works at hucklow road school shes been there about 23 years

This brings back memories........Hucklow Road Infants School....the Donkey Hill....the Playground.....Richardsons DIY...Spencers Butchers...the CO-OP.......Paragon and Whitams fish and chips.....playing at the Bowling Alley.....Wigfalls......Saturday films at the Paragon.......the fish monger with tiled display surfaces......the toy shop at Bellhouse and Firth Park Crescent( where I used to live)....the two men that had a cart there..selling vegitables....we got a Christmas tree every year from them.......as a kid......sneaking up the back steps of the Wharnecliffe Hotel and watching the Guitarist on stage through a crack in the side door......I remember one player with a cherry red Gibson 335....that set a lot in motion.

You all have a big advantage over me............that's the way it still is in my memory....fixed in time.....

.....how has it changed?

...the shops...the people.....etc....

Fine fare co op was it cromptons electric s top man got my first tape player £15.00 at about £1 a month paragon chippy top chip shop always big queues next door hibbots sweet shop mt first job was at jim smiths fruit shop sat mornins plus worked at two paper shops GREEDY old man revil up the chenel and GTnews Bellhouse

Rons card shop stil there and he stil helps his son who runs shop now can go on for ever one last one chinese chipy bottom of belhouse road owners name Gordonwas chase ed many a time by him but top bloke

hucklow school, dont think its changed much, looks the same when i pass it.

think if i remember correctly there was a stall across from park keepers house, in the park where flower beds were(we called that part peace gardens dont know if anyone else did?) that sold ice cream and sweets. can anyone else remember this?

:confused:

What was the name of the record shop next to Bunny's where i bought loads of 78's such as Be Bop a Lula, Rock island line, Heartbreak Hotel' and That'll be the day,?????

can remember a record shop called roadrunner:confused:

:confused:

can remember a record shop called roadrunner:confused:

Yep, Roadrunner was up opposite Huddarts, bought my first LP from there!, think it became a video shop in the early eighties.I can remember sitting on the steps of Liptons supermarket on Bellhouse Rd while my mum did her shopping, My dad used to buy all his clothes from the Mans Shop opposite the park.Marti Caine had a cafe in Firth Park didnt she, think its the jobnet place now.Used to love Fine Fare,and sitting on the wall outside waiting for the 48 bus to go home with a bag of chips from Paragon.