Shopping in Firth Park in the 60's/70's

shaznay

My cousin and I used to get boxes from the Firth Park shops and ride down the Donkey Hill in them!!. Memories of the bowling alley where they used to sell 'slush' and the pinball arcade there!

I remember carboard sliding on Donkey Hill!!

• 11 months later...

rember the whit marches at firthpark and the last tram ,i got my first transistor from wiggies ,my mun worked at the butchersshop not far from kenyons,she also worked at styons the bakers, shentalls shiregreen , dad worked at english steel they had a sports club up by the cemetery bank holidays there were sports days and the dances on a saterday nightthis was in the early 60s, ant the sun always shone

thanks to all the people in my youth

rember the whit marches at firthpark and the last tram ,i got my first transistor from wiggies ,my mun worked at the butchersshop not far from kenyons,she also worked at styons the bakers, shentalls shiregreen , dad worked at english steel they had a sports club up by the cemetery bank holidays there were sports days and the dances on a saterday nightthis was in the early 60s, ant the sun always shone

thanks to all the people in my youth

I worked at ESC too and what a great Sports Club it was - football & cricket pitches, about 6 tennis courts inc one grass court & a great club house. I used to play tennis there twice a week and we had an inter-departmental indoor games tournament there every year.

Those were the days !!

John

• 2 weeks later...
What was the name of the record shop next to Bunny's where i bought loads of 78's such as Be Bop a Lula, Rock island line, Heartbreak Hotel' and That'll be the day,?????

that was barrons glad to know you are still around. do you rember pam who worked there and the propriator looked like gerry coluna

The shops as i remember in 1940s

stubbin lanetop shop before t.s.b. was built was

mickardo owner mrs mycock drink shop still there i think

mr purcill shoe repairer later became fishing tacle shop

mr seymore fruit shop later turned in to toy by mrs seymore

pegrams grocers later was mr purcils gift shop l

co-op ladys clothes shop later became the vets

in the alcove was x-l fish and chips

fishers hardware shop on the corner think now in to vidios ?

hillsboro furniture shop

mr seymores second shop greengrocers taken over by smiths sometime 50s

boots chemists

quick press laundry

camms ?sweet shop later became sweets and news agent

burgins grocers

bunneys clothing shop later was t.v.shop

up the gennal was wilds wet fish shop

then fred revills newagents

then on the front was the co-op butchers-grocers wallpaper shops

plenty more if any one interested

we were talking about the shops in firth park the other day can anyone remember gordons chinese i think it would have been where the travel shop is now next to rons cards shop

you are correct i lived on bellhouse road until 1947 then moved to sheffield lane top

• 5 months later...

I remember going to Firth Park with my mum on a saturday after watching Banana Spilts on telly first. We always had fish and chips from Paragons - heaven.

i also remember the fruit and veg man, finefare, kenyons. Does anyone remember crompton and moores electrical goods (just down from the finefare)

I remember the little sweet shop at the side of Wildes fish mongers on the gennel. In the early 80's my Dad bought the fish shop and ran it for a few years as Bill's Fish Shop. He wasn't a fishmonger - he'd been made redundant from the steel works (Firth Browns) and trained himself fishmongery!

Also remember the donkey hill and cardboard box sledging - playing in the "stream" in firth park (YUCK) - the really dangerous slide in the park and kids getting shoved off the top of it, before it was replaced with the one that went down the banking.

I lived on Vickers Drive from 65 - about 1980 - does anyone remember playing rounders on the road there, or sledging down the hill in the winter - or Mrs Holmes on vickers road????

I used to go to my Nans in Shiregreen and remember the Fine Fare Supermarket / Bowling Alley / and the church on the corner, but i really remember was the roundabout that had colured lanterns around it and was lit up at night. As a kid I called them candles - i used to pester my Grandad to take me for a walk in Concord Park, and if it was dark I'd say Its OK we can still go cos we can take thoes candles from the roundabout.

Further up the road was Sicey Hotel i rember standing outside there with a bottle of pop and a bag of crisps - wouldn't happen today would it!!!

No It wouldn`t being as it`s been knocked down

I think i may have mentioned it on the thread before but can anyone remember the video hire shop on stubbin lane. VHS on the ground floor and Betamax downstairs. I think it must have been one of the first hire shops.