Old cinemas of sheffield

bigkev

nobody seems to have mentioned the manor pictures which is now tesco at manor top remember going there as a kid sat mornings .

I remember taking a date there to see what was then a very risque film - Peyton Place. What was I thinking of? No need to answer that. ;)

in my area start at middlewood. park cinema hillsborough kinema pheaonix unity with the famous chucker out biley bill walkley paladium crookes palace oxford weston roscoe don I can remember a few more in other parts of town which were not visited by us bottom rooerd lads

• 3 weeks later...
Also do you remember the Unity on Langsett road it had an impressive arch enterance. My grandparents had the sweet shop and coach garage opposite.

I remember waiting outside the Unity with friend and asking someone to " take us in", if it was an A film.

Image doing that today with a complete stranger.:o

I can't remember the sweet [spice ] shop across the road from the Unity

but I remember the one on the same side on the corner of Wood Street I think. McConnickies.

I can't remember the sweet [spice ] shop across the road from the Unity but I remember the one on the same side on the corner of Wood Street I think. McConnickies.
A 1940s directory shows "Gladys Burrell, confectioner" at 51 Langsett Road, which would have been across from the Unity (which was at 40 Langsett Road). An odd thing about the Unity was that you went in at the front, under the impressive arch, but came out at the side, in Gertrude Street.

in my area start at middlewood. park cinema hillsborough kinema pheaonix unity with the famous chucker out biley bill walkley paladium crookes palace oxford weston roscoe don I can remember a few more in other parts of town which were not visited by us bottom rooerd lads

did"nt hillsborough kinema have chucker out called big don?.sat and sun nights in the six"tys used to be a laugh,some of the things that called out .its the only movie house iv'e ever been to where iv"e heard hecklers get applause.

• 1 month later...
The Odeon is now the Kingdom nightclub......the ABC is now a Travel Inn. WIMPY bars...there were TWO in SHeffield City Centre, one was on Fargate and became Burger King after a few other changes, the other was at the top of the Moor going towards the Peace Gardens....not sure which shop front it was but it was a big place that went back for quite a bit with a huge long counter. Very popular.......it was on the right hand side lookinn down the Moor before Debenhams.....maybe somewhere near that second hand electrical/musical junk shop place which has been there for years and years.

I remember the old Wimpy Bar down the Moor. Best cheeseburgers I ever tasted. They used to fry the onions and the burgers totally filled the huge breadcakes, which were toasted. Can still taste them now. Heaven. McDonalds' can't hold a candle to those.

The Gaumont in Barker's Pool was closed in 1984. The site was redeveloped and two small cinemas, known as Odeon 1 & 2 incorporated in the development with access from Burgess street.

These closed down in the early nineties I think when the Odeon complex on Arundel Gate was opened...1992 ?

The Gaumont closed in 1987ish, and reopened shortly after as the Odeon. ETA: Actually, fact-checking reveals that it was late '85 when the Gaumont closed, and 1987 when the Odeon opened.

The Odeon 7 opened in March 1992, incorporating the two small cinemas from the Fiesta (which had been running in conjunction with the Odeon on Burgess Street from at least 1989, and probably before. Before it was absorbed into the Odeon 7, the Fiesta mostly used to run the films that weren't judged big enough to open at the Odeon, and films which had completed their run at the Odeon).

The Odeon on Burgess Street didn't close when the Odeon 7 opened; it shared its management with the Odeon, and several Odeon staff were transferred down there. The Odeon closed in 1994, I think, or perhaps a little earlier.

Edited by Guest

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone remember the 'Crookes Picture Palace'. As you entered the foyer, the steps to the left of the ticket office lead up to the balcony, the doors to the right lead down to the stalls. You would always enter the auditorium to the music 'Moonlight And Roses' being played over the sound system. I think it must have been the only record they had! I remember going with my mum to see 'Seven Brides For Seven Brothers' way back in the mid fifties and Saturday mornings with my pals to see 'The Siscoe Kid', 'Davy Crocket',

'Flash Gordon', 'Roy Rodgers' etc. I vaguely remember us kids being given a free lolly (boiled sweet type, not frozen) on entering. I'm sure this sort of entertainment wouldn't be of any interest to kids of today but to us kids of the fifties, it was great!