Old cinemas of sheffield

bigkev

did anybody ever visit the studio 7 cinema on the wicker?

Did we ever??? One night in '55 a group of art students visited The Studio 7 cinema to see a new French comedy, “Les Vacances de Monsieur Hulot” (1953) starring Jacques Tati. All of us were doubled-up with laughter, tears streaming from our eyes. At the end of the performance the cinema was empty save for a row of seats filled by ourselves plus a few disreputable gents wearing raincoats and a couple hard at it on the back row. After all, Studio 7 was a normally a rather disreputable place featuring rather 'dirty' foreign movies and this film wasn’t one of them!

A few weeks later those same students piled into an ex-WD armoured staff-car left over from WWII and drove 3,000 miles to Italy. Judging from the sand-coloured paint and deep-tread tyres, the car had served in the desert campaign with Montgomery’s army in North Africa. The headline in ‘The Star’ read, ‘Students with Jazz, Art Ideas off to Rome’.

:D

Edited by Janus1938
7 ommited quote edited down

Did we ever??? One night in '55 a group of art students visited The Studio 7 cinema to see a new French comedy, “Les Vacances de Monsieur Hulot” (1953) starring Jacques Tati. All of us were doubled-up with laughter, tears streaming from our eyes. At the end of the performance the cinema was empty save for a row of seats filled by ourselves plus a few disreputable gents wearing raincoats and a couple hard at it on the back row. After all, Studio 7 was a normally a rather disreputable place featuring rather 'dirty' foreign movies and this film wasn’t one of them!

A few weeks later those same students piled into an ex-WD armoured staff-car left over from WWII and drove 3,000 miles to Italy. Judging from the sand-coloured paint and deep-tread tyres, the car had served in the desert campaign with Montgomery’s army in North Africa. The headline in ‘The Star’ read, ‘Students with Jazz, Art Ideas off to Rome’.

:D

Is this the same Studio 567 where i will have watched Rocky 4 for about 75pence ?

No one seems to have mentioned the Forum at Longley where the Tesco is now, believe this was also an Essoldo.

If you go into the carpet shop on an Barnsley Rd which used to be the Capitol you can still see some of the ornate mouldings on the upper walls and roof, in fact the upstairs floor appears to be the old circle area of the cinema.

Jeff

just found this thread and wondered if any one knew about hillsborough kinema where the co-op was built on its site ,it was extemely famous having been one of the first "THEMED" cinemas in the world!!!!! looked like the meadowhall italy/restaurant area outside with egyptian themed interior -built when king tut s tomb was found! personally i went with my mum to the pavillion on attercliffe and a little cinema at the side of the canal where the the overpass -m1 goes to magna turnoff,also went skating above the cinema behind the attercliffe chapel . it was a night club in the 80 s but i m damned if i can remember the name its still there -a preservation order on it.as a firparnian school kid i saw the firthpark cinema replaced by the bowling alley

Edited by roggert

They didn't change things, at least not this time. The Unity was to the left of the top of Wood St. There was a dance school above it, and Wood St. did end at Langsett Rd.

thanks JM came back to Sheffield 49 50 51 use to bike up fm Leicester for them wild sat nights saw things in the Unity that a lad could only dream about in Leicester:love::love::love:

• 2 weeks later...

Cinemas.

During my younger years I went to only 9 cinemas in Sheffield, some of them I visited several times. Listed below are the places and some of the films I've scene.

1. Manor Cinema - Barbarella - several visits

2. Studio 7 - On Her Majesty's Secret Service - several visits

3. Gaumont - Goldfinger - watched this from projector room - several visits

4. Classic - Can't remember - several visits - usually neets late on

5. ABC - can't remember - several visits (maybe Battle Of The Bulge)

6. Odeon - The Sound Of Music - 2 visits

7. Cinecenta - Ravaged - 1 visit - Dwarfs (Dwaves) chasing a bird in the woods

8. Roscoe - South Pacific - 1 visit - Some enchanted evening etc

9. The Rex - That Darn Cat, Space Odyssey 2001, 7 Brides for 7 Brothers - Load of visits

At The Rex to the right and left were shops, I think the left shop sold womens clothes, what did the other shop sell and who owned them?

In 1978 I went to the flicks with a girl from work in Stuttgart, I don't remember what film was on because I was too busy.

The last time I was at the pictures was to watch The Day After in Hannover in the mid 80's.

• 3 months later...

I used to go to the matinee at the pictures on spital hill ,does anyone out there remember name of picture house? while my friends and myself were waiting to go in one day i had some new shoes on that had been bought for whitsun tide ,i was swinging my foot and one of my shoes shot off into road and a bus passing ran over it, it was twice size of my foot, was i trouble.

Yes, the Rex cinema was on the corner where the Co-op car park is now. I passed it loads of times in the 70s and 80s.

Regarding books on old Sheffield cinemas, there is/was a book in Crystal Peaks library as Ive looked through it a few times. However I dont remember what it looks like, what its called and whether it is still there or not!

I went to the closing night at the Rex, brilliant film - brought the house down.