Old cinemas of sheffield

bigkev

I used to go to the matinee at the pictures on spital hill ,does anyone out there remember name of picture house? while my friends and myself were waiting to go in one day i had some new shoes on that had been bought for whitsun tide ,i was swinging my foot and one of my shoes shot off into road and a bus passing ran over it, it was twice size of my foot, was i trouble.

'Twas the Coliseum, Spider. Went there many times as a lad.

Edited by Jim Hardie

My sister and brother in law used to take me to The Carlton Cinema on was it Northern or Eeastern Ave any way it was The Arbourthorne.

I remember it because it always seemed to be freezing inside .

The films i remember always seemed to be American gangster movies and the main actor for some reason was usualy a actor called Edward G Robinson i think my bro in law was a fan, I always remember walking home to Gleadless after the pictures and Tom talking like an American mobster. I would have been about 10 at the time [mid fifties]

My favourite cinemas as a young kid were;

Abbeydale Cinema, Heeley Palace, Heeley Colisseum, Heeley Green Cinema,

The Chantrey, Woodseats Palace and The Star, when I was older I visited

The Gaumont, Cinema House, Hippodrome, Union Street Cinema, Odeon*,

and ABC.

* I saw the opening of the Odeon, Fitzalan Square when I believe the first

film shown was Reach for the Sky starring Kenneth More in I think 1956.

" Happy days"

The Odeon cinema building was started about 1937,but after all the steelwork had been completed,the war broke out and the building was stopped. It remained in that state all through the war and afterwards and was'nt completed until 1956. The major cinema in Sheffield pre war was the Regent in Barkers pool. Top price 1/10d (9P).Wages were only about £3 pw though.

Some information borrowed from the sheffield history forum:

Although work on building the Odeon commenced in 1939, the outbreak of war soon delayed this for the duration. It would be 16 years later that building would restart. The Odeon finally on 16 July 1956. The original pre-war design was changed and externally, a rustic brick facing applied. The foyer was of an unusual design rising to half the building's height with a huge advertising display above the canopy.

Internally, the auditorium was unusually wide and a continuous coving linked the walls and ceiling. Seating was provided for 2340 patrons with 816 circle seats.

Projection equipment was installed for the 70mm film format. Among these long running large screen presentations were, South Pacific, Cleopatra and The Sound of Music.

The Odeon closed for film presentations on the 5 June, 1971. It still remains a bingo hall.