Old cinemas of sheffield

bigkev

Does anyone remember the old News Theatre in Fitzallen Square? I used to love to go there as a kid in the early 50's. They ran a continuous show with cartoons and news reels. They ran stuff like the 3 stooges, mighty mouse and I remember seeing the clip there when Rocky Marciano beat Jersey Joe Walcott for the heavyweight championship.

I left England in 1966. Last time I was in Sheffield was in 2006 and I got totally lost downtown. I enjoy reading the Sheffield Forum.

Does anyone remember the old News Theatre in Fitzallen Square? I used to love to go there as a kid in the early 50's. They ran a continuous show with cartoons and news reels. They ran stuff like the 3 stooges, mighty mouse and I remember seeing the clip there when Rocky Marciano beat Jersey Joe Walcott for the heavyweight championship.

I left England in 1966. Last time I was in Sheffield was in 2006 and I got totally lost downtown. I enjoy reading the Sheffield Forum.

i rememember it but can you rememberthe hilsboro kinimer and the hillsbro cinniamar.

Hi Bushbaby - I just found this about the long-gone billiard hall on an old thread:

There used to be a snooker hall next to the Hillsboro Park Cinema on Catch Bar Lane S6. In the 1950s and 60s it was patronised so frequently by virtually all the professional footballers from the nearby club , that it was know locally as Wednesday's Training Ground.

That's where I learned to play snooker (a sign of a mis-spent youth?).:| The funny old bloke in charge always gave us youngsters a crap table...:(

I suspect some of you, like me, are ex pats. This thread brought back some great memories. Here in America, the movie houses are slowly dying. The competition from movies sent to your TV for little money as against movie house prices for a show plus popcorn, soda or candy is killing the multiplexes, Most of the movies are slash and burn for the few teenagers who bother to go. My wife and I went to see " The King's Speech " last week, the first time we've been for over two years. The movie was excellent, the screen guality and sound was not. I'll wait for it to come to my satellite supplier and watch it again in HD.