Old cinemas of sheffield

bigkev

Yes Vimto (I still drink it ) sarsaparilla by the pint and cream sodas wonderful !

---------- Post added 06-09-2014 at 17:40 ----------

The Odeon is now the Kingdom nightclub......the ABC is now a Travel Inn. WIMPY bars...there were TWO in SHeffield City Centre, one was on Fargate and became Burger King after a few other changes, the other was at the top of the Moor going towards the Peace Gardens....not sure which shop front it was but it was a big place that went back for quite a bit with a huge long counter. Very popular.......it was on the right hand side lookinn down the Moor before Debenhams.....maybe somewhere near that second hand electrical/musical junk shop place which has been there for years and years.

Living 200 miles away I can only look by using Google earth, But if I recall in 1939 at the outbreak of WW2 the Odeon or I should say site was at the top of Pond Hill (Flat Street), the old ornate building (still standing) on the corner of the square I believe was the main post office, their social club was in a side road just up Norfolk street, In those days Norfolk street came continuously right down to Fitzallen Square.

The Odeon site was on the Norfolk street corner opposite the post office, but it was still just a girder framework at that time as building of that sort was not allowed, it remained as a framework until well after the war ended. As mentioned it is or was a Mecca Bingo Hall, now I believe night club. westmoors

Edited by westmoors

Maybe, because there have been so many replies to this thread, someone will have mentined the Palladium on South Rd Walkley. As people were going in for the evening performances, the manager, who alwaye wore a dinner jacket and bow tie, used to stand at the top of the steps where the balcony ticket office was. He used to fascinate me as he had only one perfect ear! I think the other was damaged in some way. There was the Scala, which stood on the left hand side, coming down from the university,

and near where the tram tracks go down to Shalesmoor.There was the Oxford at Upperthorpe and Crookes Cinema, now a supermarket,and with an upstairs seating area not much higher than the stalls!! Many happy memories of visiting these and other Sheffield cinemas which are long gone,

Hi billiej - yes, I remember the three cinemas you mention, and the impressive-looking manager at the Palladium! There are two old photos of the Palladium on the picturesheffield.com site - here are two links. Ther's also a drawing of the Oxford on this site: http://www.thewookie.co.uk/cinemas/cintable.html.

I was reading through posts and thought no-one has mentioned Palladium when I came to yours. I remember the manager. We were told he had fallen asleep with his head against a radiator. Don't know how that could happen. As teenagers we sometimes went three times a week. Saturday, Sunday when old films were shown and Mondays. We paid 9pence to get in. Moved away from Walkley in 1963 but had reason to go along South Road when Palladium had been demolished- a great hole but could see remains of outside toilet with cistern complete with handle where house on Orchard Street had also been partly demolished. I can smile now but at the time I felt rather sad. I digress but saw your recent post about St Mary's school which also brought back memories. I would love to see the photo mentioned.

---------- Post added 11-09-2014 at 11:07 ----------

I was reading through posts and thought no-one has mentioned Palladium when I came to yours. I remember the manager. We were told he had fallen asleep with his head against a radiator. Don't know how that could happen. As teenagers we sometimes went three times a week. Saturday, Sunday when old films were shown and Mondays. We paid 9pence to get in. Moved away from Walkley in 1963 but had reason to go along South Road when Palladium had been demolished- a great hole but could see remains of outside toilet with cistern complete with handle where house on Orchard Street had also been partly demolished. I can smile now but at the time I felt rather sad. I digress but saw your recent post about St Mary's school which also brought back memories. I would love to see the photo mentioned.

Does anyone remember the Regal bottom of Staniforth Road in Attercliffe and the Saturday Afternoon matinee when you could see films of the adventures of Kit Karson, Cisco Kid and Lone Ranger to name a few. We used to take elastic bands tied together to make a sort of catapult between your fingers and get a penny worth of wire staples from Jennings then fire them at the screen to `kill` the outlaws. All that was until the woman with the big torch caught us, clipped us on the back of the head or kicked us up the arse grabbed out hair and threw us out. I could have her for assault if she did that to me these days and report her to the human right board lol

• 1 month later...
Yes Vimto (I still drink it ) sarsaparilla by the pint and cream sodas wonderful !

Living 200 miles away I can only look by using Google earth, But if I recall in 1939 at the outbreak of WW2 the Odeon or I should say site was at the top of Pond Hill (Flat Street), the old ornate building (still standing) on the corner of the square I believe was the main post office, their social club was in a side road just up Norfolk street, In those days Norfolk street came continuously right down to Fitzallen Square.

The Odeon site was on the Norfolk street corner opposite the post office, but it was still just a girder framework at that time as building of that sort was not allowed, it remained as a framework until well after the war ended. As mentioned it is or was a Mecca Bingo Hall, now I believe night club. westmoors

HIYA, i wrote about the odeon's girderwork some while ago and during the war years when my mum and me past the site me being 4/5 years old thought it was war damage, but when the odeon got built the first film i saw was jacqueline, i think we payed half a crown ( 2.5 pints of beer at the time mind we were too young to buy beer at the time) to get in, not sure if it was another time but our first cinemascope film was shown here, at the time it was so modern a cinema it was clearly modern in the second half of the 20th century.

Edited by willybite

Maybe, because there have been so many replies to this thread, someone will have mentined the Palladium on South Rd Walkley. As people were going in for the evening performances, the manager, who alwaye wore a dinner jacket and bow tie, used to stand at the top of the steps where the balcony ticket office was. He used to fascinate me as he had only one perfect ear! I think the other was damaged in some way. There was the Scala, which stood on the left hand side, coming down from the university,

and near where the tram tracks go down to Shalesmoor.There was the Oxford at Upperthorpe and Crookes Cinema, now a supermarket,and with an upstairs seating area not much higher than the stalls!! Many happy memories of visiting these and other Sheffield cinemas which are long gone,

Yes we used to go to all these three when we were kids,also there was the Oxford down Upperthorpe and the Western which was somewhere down the Fawcett Street area.Later on in the 60s when we were all bikers we all used to go to the Hillsborough Kinema,Hillsborough Palace and sometimes the Phoenix or the Unity.Happy Days.

• 3 weeks later...
Yes we used to go to all these three when we were kids,also there was the Oxford down Upperthorpe and the Western which was somewhere down the Fawcett Street area.Later on in the 60s when we were all bikers we all used to go to the Hillsborough Kinema,Hillsborough Palace and sometimes the Phoenix or the Unity.Happy Days.

hiya, the weston now that brings back memories, it stood on the corner of st philips rd and mitchell st, the screen end was opposite the tripe place i think it was greatorix or similar, the front entrance was opposite Farr's shop, we went there twice a week right through the 40s,tuesday and saturday.price was one shilling adults, nine pence for half, the ice cream lady sold ice cream plain, or chock ice later in the 40s.sorry to point out but it was not western but weston, after weston st.

---------- Post added 25-11-2014 at 20:51 ----------

hiya, my wife and me had our wedding reception at the postmens club in 1961, afterwards i asked where the men were going as they were going to the elephant at the bottom of norfolk st for a beer, i asked the steward is it ok to have a drink in the club to which he said yes, someone had said we were a teetotal lot, so he opened a bar upstairs, and a good night had by all never found out who said we were teetotal though ha ha.

Edited by willybite