Old cinemas of sheffield

bigkev

Yes it was. The original name was 'The Forum'. There was also a small cinema in Ecclesfield called 'The Cinema House'. Essoldo bought all three cinemas, changing their names to their own. This was around 1949.

All three were sold by Gleesons as a package. The Capitol and Forum were both built from the same plans, but The Forum had around twenty more seats that The Capitol. At one time, Essoldo was the third largest cinema group in the UK, behind Rank and ABC.

I lived on Masters Rd. Parson Cross, I joined the Royal Navy in October 49, the cinema was still the Capitol then. Memorable films, Four Feathers, Pinnochio, Lassie Come Home & many more. I have a vague recollection of seeing a Diana Durban film , must have been before 1939.

• 11 months later...
Hiya Anyone, checking out 2 places.

Was their a Lyric picture house in Darnell - was told of another,

can anyone help.

where were they located.

Can only find this one Brian...

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s21309&pos=2&action=zoom&id=23801

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;u07632&pos=6&action=zoom&id=100028

http://cinematreasures.org/theaters/26217

Peter.

Edited by PeterR

Was not the Balfour near the top of Shireland Lane ? eventually became a carpet shop. I remember, many moons ago, standing outside looking at the posters and thinking it amusing that Linda Darnell was in a film playing in Darnall.

Was not the Balfour near the top of Shireland Lane ? eventually became a carpet shop. I remember, many moons ago, standing outside looking at the posters and thinking it amusing that Linda Darnell was in a film playing in Darnall.

Just outside of North Bay at the Ferris Theater in the Ferris Mall, there was a big sign advertising, "Ferris Bueller's Day Off".

Just outside of North Bay at the Ferris Theater in the Ferris Mall, there was a big sign advertising, "Ferris Bueller's Day Off".

i remember also the darnall cinema my aunts used to call it the little dick, that was where wilkinsons shop is/was.

---------------

Hi Peter, Thanks for those pictures i think all them cinema's were

great place and to some people they had a story to tell.

---------

When Star Bingo took over the cinema's in sheffield i was a member

to one at the bottom of Eccelsall Rd, sorry i can't think of its name.

I really like the No2 picture inside, what did they call them seats

upstairs on the sides. Brian

Edited by nikki-red
fixed quote tags