Old cinemas of sheffield

bigkev

Anybody remember me and my GF getting chucked out of the Gaumont in 1973 for trying to get in to see an "x" film ("The Final Programme")?

I was 16 and I was so excited about taking my first girlfriend to the pictures that I (unbelievably, I know) hadn't noticed the certification. I would never have dared try, otherwise.

Anyhow, we were waiting in the queue for about 10 mins and when I got to the box office I pushed my cash over and said "two stalls, please" and the woman said "no" and pushed it back.

I said "why not" and she said "because this showing is an x and you're not eighteen".

Without thinking, I said "No, it's not". She said, matter-of-factly "Yes it is" and then a hairy-<removed> chap appeared (manager?) and just said "Go on, get out," and we left, walking past the whole queue. "Walk of Shame" doesn't even come close. I nearly died.

As I recall, we went to the Cineplex and watched "That'll Be The Day", instead.

Anyway, nothing will ever embarrass me again. I could bare my bum on City Hall steps and it wouldn't bother me, I tell thee!

I remember seeing That ll be the Day (at the Barnsley Road cinema ? Esaldo or something like that) as I was a David Essex fan I cant believe it was in 1973 though as I would have only been 12 and it was a bit naughty in some scenes I believe the follow up Stardust came out a few years later and I may be wrong but didnt they bring out an AA rating I think that was for over 14s ?

I remember seeing That ll be the Day (at the Barnsley Road cinema ? Esaldo or something like that) as I was a David Essex fan I cant believe it was in 1973 though as I would have only been 12 and it was a bit naughty in some scenes I believe the follow up Stardust came out a few years later and I may be wrong but didnt they bring out an AA rating I think that was for over 14s ?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Essoldo.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Essoldo.

I remember "Stardust" because my sister went to see it and bought the LP. "That'll Be The Day" was 73 and Stardust was 74. Both with David Essex starring. I can't imagine Stardust was worse than That'll Be The Day.

I do remember that, after the horrible humiliation in The Gaumont, I sat in Cineplex, thinking "Oh, God! when we come out of here, then the Gaumont will be emptying and they will all recognise me and Mary! I didn't dare say anything about how I was feeling to her, but I made sure we went quick smart to the 82 bus stop (on Leopold Street, I'm sure, 'cos the buses still ran down The Moor in those days) desperately hoping I wouldn't be recognised!! Oh, my goodness - the paranoia of teenage years!!

Luckily, nobody from the queue at The Gaumont (I think) was in the very short queue (too early for adults to be going home from town on a Friday). We went upstairs and (thank God) started snogging on the back seat. A tipsy bloke got on and lit up a fag and, seeing us, commented "Leave a bit for later!"

Those were the days, my friend........

Sorry, should have added - That'll Be The Day was an "A" (what a relief when I saw that info!!!) in 73 which meant you could get in if you were 14, or maybe 15 I think. I bet you can check on the BBFC website.

Edited by SaveMyCity
Added info

hippadrome,1962. first date.same lass now 54years..thanks billy fury(play it cool)

Yer what!!? Tha went aht wi Mary Cook afore I did? (she must have been 5 or 6 in 1962)

I'll get thee! School gates. 4 O'Clock. Tha's deerd!!!

Only a laugh. I don't think too much registered in Mary's mind. No offence (if she subscribes to the forum or not) but she was..... er can I say thick as 50 closet seats nailed together?

---------- Post added 05-11-2016 at 20:28 ----------

Essoldo.

"That'll Be The Day" was 1973

"Stardust" was 1974

Just checked on IMDB

Cheers. Great days - despite the humiliation (frequent) and awful films (frequent) LOL

---------- Post added 05-11-2016 at 20:46 ----------

'Someone to take you in'? I think that was for 'A' films, 'Accompanied by an adult' but not for 'X" films.

Not sure, but wasn't that AA films? They added the new AA classification in 1970 though it didn't bother me for too long as the BBFC definition of an adult was 14 or over.

I think he classifications went

(up until 1970)

U anybody

A accompanied by an adult

X over 16 only

After 1970

U anybody

A a bit naughty (suggestive or violent pictures) so 15 yo or over

AA under 14 yo have to be accompanied by a 15 year old or older

X 18 years old or older only

Bring it back!

Edited by SaveMyCity