Bradleys Records shop and chapel walk clock shop

goldenfleece

I think Our Price on the Moor originally opened as a shop called Music Market (or something like that involving extensive use of the letter 'M').

I worked in that branch of Our Price over Christmas and New Year 1989-90 - my abiding memory is a heaving mass of humanity facing me across the counter, all waving Phil Collins, Tina Turner and Lisa Stansfield albums at me. Never worked so hard in my life before or since - and when they offered me a permanent job, I turned it down because I was so exhausted! Mind you, I was working every evening at The Crucible too. And I was still broke.

Hi,

As many have stated, there were three Bradleys records shops in Sheffield. One on Fargate, one on Pinstone street (where the Greggs is now, I think) and one on Fargate.

The other shop on Fargate was Vallances. This used be Canns.

The Bradleys on Fargate had a downstairs part to it.

Used to buy some of my singles and Lps from these places in the 70s and early 80s.

Dean of Disco

• 2 years later...

I worked for both Cann`s and Bradleys in the 70`s and can confirm that Bradleys did not have a shop in Chapel Walk. That was Cann`s..which was later taken over by Valances. The owners of Bradleys were John Bradley And Ron Neal and they came from Worksop. The manager of the West St Bradleys shop was Rod Bateman . That shop was a dedicated musical instrument shop and didn't sell records.

Hi Cossy,

I thought Ron Neal came from Rochdale? I also remember a Barry Smith being a manager at Fargate. As for the shop at West Street, it was for musical instruments but they also had a load of RCA American Imports (Dynaflex) The LP covers used to have one corner dented as they were imports. They were a lot cheaper than UK editions. I used to purchase a lot of Elvis, Jerry Reed at this place. I used to work at RTU on Carver Street and spent many a lunch hours at this West Street branch testing guitars.

My first guitar I purchased at Canns..

I lived in the 60ties in Sheffield and I remember Cann’s on Chapel Walk. I brought my first electric Guitar (A Japanese model) at Canns in 1964 with a huge valve Amp from H+H.

Here is a photo of it – Any ideas what it is?

http: //i70.photobucket.com/albums/i108/jdodiep/dodie%20self/dodieguitar.jpg

I'd have said either an Eko or a Futurama of some ilk...?

• 3 years later...
Used to nip into Bradley's (top of Fargate, a few doors down from the Yorks Bank on the corner) to listen to new LP's during my lunchbreak....This would be '68/'69?

They had 2 (3?) stand-in booths at the far left-hand side of the shop where (if the staff weren't too busy and you didn't prat about) they would let you listen to an album before buying it...

I seem to remember a guy called Barry being manager, and a really terrific looking lass working there...long-haired blonde, really tiny, way less than 5' tall - a real stunner, and I was really taken with her.....

I remember getting a bit of a shock when she told me that she was mid-twenties; I was only 18/19, and that age difference was a definite no-no!

Wonder whatever became of her?

Hi, Just seen your post a few years late, but if you still want to know what happened to that little lady I have a photo of who I think your talking about taken in 1969 during a apperance in the shop of John Rowles and if it is her she emigrated to South Africa.

Yes you are right. Barry Smith was the manager at the Fargate Branch and I remember an Alan Trower being the manager at the Pinstone Street.

I also remember a great record place on Fulwood Road (at the corner of Crookes Road and Nile Street) There was a pub, I think it was ‘The South Seas’ and ‘The Pink Panther Restaurant’ that was between this record shop. (1960/1970ish)…..

What ever happen to Wilson's and Pecks? Opposite Bradley's on the corner (Leopold Street) before the Odeon/Gaumont/City Hall.

I worked for both Cann`s and Bradleys in the 70`s and can confirm that Bradleys did not have a shop in Chapel Walk. That was Cann`s..which was later taken over by Valances. The owners of Bradleys were John Bradley And Ron Neal and they came from Worksop. The manager of the West St Bradleys shop was Rod Bateman . That shop was a dedicated musical instrument shop and didn't sell records.

Bradleys was on the right as you went down Chapel Walk-100% certain.Vallances was on the other side.

• 5 weeks later...

Archived