Bradleys Records shop and chapel walk clock shop

goldenfleece

Phillip Canns was the record shop in Chapel Walk later bought by Bradleys, they also had a shop on Fargate. Bradleys had other shops in Rochdale, Halifax Huddersfield and other Yorks/Lancs towns.

How do I know, I called on them when I worked for record companies.

No, Phillip Canns was bought by Vallences, Bradleys were on the other side of Chapel Walk

Sorry, Vallances did take over Phillip Canns.I sold to loads of record shops in Sheffied, Violet Mays, Revolution, Marshall & Snelgrove, another big shop opposite the City Hall, can't remember the name. Virgin was at the bottom of The Moor, I think a guy called Barry was the manager who opened a shop on Fulwood Road. HMV was on The Moor and of course Bradleys and Vallances. There was even a small shop in Hillsborough, plus probably quite a few I've forgotton, Oh yes, K & D in the Castle Market. Wh Smiths, Boots all had big record departments.

Sorry, Vallances did take over Phillip Canns.I sold to loads of record shops in Sheffied, Violet Mays, Revolution, Marshall & Snelgrove, another big shop opposite the City Hall, can't remember the name. Virgin was at the bottom of The Moor, I think a guy called Barry was the manager who opened a shop on Fulwood Road. HMV was on The Moor and of course Bradleys and Vallances. There was even a small shop in Hillsborough, plus probably quite a few I've forgotton, Oh yes, K & D in the Castle Market. Wh Smiths, Boots all had big record departments.

Hi VicD, Who did you work for? PM me if you prefer.

• 8 months later...

Locations of Bradleys Records.

59 Fargate Sheffield

103 West Street Sheffield

101 Pinstone Street Sheffield (Tapes)

2/4 South Mall Doncaster

22 Market Street Halifax

19 Yorkshire Street Rochdale

69/71 Drake Street Rochdale

2 The Walk Rochdale (Tapes)

In the late 70s/early 80s I spent most of my money in record shops, especially Bradleys and Virgin - but fell out with the one on Chapel Walk when they refused to exchange an LP that jumped first time I tried to play it (even accused me of scratching it deliberately errm I dont think so).

I worked for both Cann`s and Bradleys in the 70`s and can confirm that Bradleys did not have a shop in Chapel Walk. That was Cann`s..which was later taken over by Valances. The owners of Bradleys were John Bradley And Ron Neal and they came from Worksop. The manager of the West St Bradleys shop was Rod Bateman . That shop was a dedicated musical instrument shop and didn't sell records.

Actually the did sell RCA American Imports - Dynaflex editions at 50% off the UK issues.... I purchased loads of Elvis and Jerry Reed stuff at West Street.

Locations of Bradleys Records.

59 Fargate Sheffield

103 West Street Sheffield

101 Pinstone Street Sheffield (Tapes)

2/4 South Mall Doncaster

22 Market Street Halifax

19 Yorkshire Street Rochdale

69/71 Drake Street Rochdale

2 The Walk Rochdale (Tapes)

Plus the Chapel Walk branch.

On Pinstone Street as you looked at it from the left.... a paper shop (became GT News), Bradleys Records, a jeans shop and then Radio Rentals on the corner is how I remember it.

I used to go to my dads place of work which was in St Pauls Chambers above straight from school in the late 70's early 80's.

I bought my first ever 7 inch record from that branch on Pinstone Street, still got it today, they also used to sell a lot of ex-jukebox stock with the middles stamped out and you would get a plastic middle that would pop out every now and then.

Happy vinyl days.

Archived