Greengrocers on duke street 60s/70s

Can anyone remember the name of the greengrosers that used to be on duke street underneath the flats opposit the park hill flats in the 60s/70's.I think it was owned by two brothers? one was called Albert. they also had a green van which came round the streets selling veg when i lived at Gleadless.:confused:

Remember the shops, used to be a fishmongers by name of Quirk, greengocer had a son who died when he was young, about 10 -12years old.

Can't for the life of me remember the name though.

The only green grocers I remember on Duke Street was Norton's. They were on the left hand side - going up - next to a fish mongers.

I remember the fish and chip shop on the Pavement but never knew the name. Blaskey's also had a shop on there for a while. There were many more shops but just what their names were are a mystery.

I have a better recollections of the shops on Duke Street before Parkhill was built: Remember Gallons, Sandler's the mens shop. Berry's chemists, to name a few.

Don't forget Judy Burgin's Entry. That was in there somewhere.

Regards

The only green grocers I remember on Duke Street was Norton's. They were on the left hand side - going up - next to a fish mongers.

I remember the fish and chip shop on the Pavement but never knew the name. Blaskey's also had a shop on there for a while. There were many more shops but just what their names were are a mystery.

I have a better recollections of the shops on Duke Street before Parkhill was built: Remember Gallons, Sandler's the mens shop. Berry's chemists, to name a few.

Regards

Dempseys had a shoe shop on there also.

Regards

yes it was Nortons could not think of the name for the life of me,they were friends of my nans when she had a shop in the late 60s on city road.

many thanks

Dempseys the gents outfitters.

On the raised level above the chippie:

The barber (I assume the fittings, wood paneling etc. came from an older barbers shop)

The optician, the reason I wear specs :(

Sorry to the OP for taking the thread of course

Archived