The "I am currently reading" thread

discodown

A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini

Excellent, excellent book. A must-read, I absolutely loved it. Very insightful, tender, harrowing and moving. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Currently reading Blind Willow, Sleeping Woman - Haruki Murakami.

... I got the Female Eunuch this Sunday, but I still have a few others to get through ... I think I was right to start on this again, though. I read it when I was sixteen and a lot of the issues mentioned didn't really have any relevance to me at that point in my life. Nine years of working and a few relationships down the line, and it all makes a lot more sense now.

I'm sure I heard Ms Greer recently on R4 saying that a lot of blokes (16+) originally bought TFE for the cover. Not quite sure what they were expecting.

I think every book I read at sixteen makes a lot more sense to me now (with the possible exceptions of The Hobbit and Bardo Thödol).

Currently I'm reading something much more manageable: Michael Palin's Sahara.

Excellent, excellent book. A must-read, I absolutely loved it. Very insightful, tender, harrowing and moving. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Currently reading Blind Willow, Sleeping Woman - Haruki Murakami.

A Thousand Splendid Suns made me FURIOUS. I think it really brought home to me how ill-treated women are under certain regimes and in certain societies. I wanted to set the husband on fire and laugh whilst I was doing so.

I'm sure I heard Ms Greer recently on R4 saying that a lot of blokes (16+) originally bought TFE for the cover. Not quite sure what they were expecting.

My copy has a pink cover with the corset thing on it :) I saw Ms Greer speak live last year, and I thought "that's an inspiration for the kind of old woman I want to turn into when I get older"

Well, I managed to finish Ibsen's Hedda Gabler late one night (bit more feminism :cool:). I felt a bit down this weekend and start of this week so went to an old favourite - "the Post Birthday World" by Lionel Shriver.

Irina has one of those "big decision" moments. Should she reach up and kiss someone, or not? The story then splits off into two different scenarios depending on whether she kisses the guy or not. Very highly recommended - sort of intelligent chick lit.

Still have Oliver Twist to get through now :|

Still have Oliver Twist to get through now :|

I find reading Dickens is like running up a small hill; harder than i thought it would be, but i still enjoyed it when i'd done. I've got a copy of 'Bleak House' out of my Dad's collection and i keep putting off starting it.

Currently reading 'Somme Mud' by E.P.F. Lynch. A memoir of WW1 by an Australian soldier. I got it for Christmas and thought it'd be a bit crappy, but it's stunning.