The "I am currently reading" thread

discodown

I am in my detective novel phase, having read James Patterson's "Cross Fire" I realise that even the special offer price of £3 was far to much to pay, so I have started reading "City of Bones" with the lovely Harry Bosch, I am hoping that Michael Connelly won't let me down.

City of Bones is a good one.

I'm still plodding through The Hare with Amber Eyes. It's interesting rather than gripping and could have done with a bit more editing.

Just started on The Psychopath Test by Jon Ronson, ...

Which loses its way a third of the way through, after an interesting, if cursory, tour of the book's ostensible subject matter; if you have a passing familiarity with the literature, you'll learn nothing new here, and if you're at all interested in the neurobiological basis of psychopathy, you'll find the tantalising glimpses into that territory frustratingly superficial. Conspiracy theorists, empathy vacuum TV journalists, drug-pushing medics, Scientologists and eccentrics are all pinned to Ronson's corkboard during a rather inconclusive wander along, and occasionally over, the boundaries of 'acceptable' normality. Recommended - the subject is fascinating, and it's all done with Ronson's usual beguiling style, wit and humour - but it doesn't do what it says on the tin.

I'm now reading The Tell-Tale Brain, by VS Ramachandran. Fascinating, although it does cover much of the same territory as his earlier book, Phantoms in the Brain.

Sovereign by CJ Sansom, the third book of his in the Shardlake series I have read.

You are there in the story, living, breathing and smelling the experience.

This one is set in York in the time of Henry VIII and because of its setting, I recognise all the places mentioned.

Silas Marner by George Eliot at the moment. A slow start, but getting better with every page turned. I enjoyed Mill on the Floss, so I'll see how this compares at the end...

Edited by perplexed
spelling...

Sovereign by CJ Sansom, the third book of his in the Shardlake series I have read.

You are there in the story, living, breathing and smelling the experience.

This one is set in York in the time of Henry VIII and because of its setting, I recognise all the places mentioned.

ooh I love this series just finished the 'Heartstone' I am looking forward to the next

...I'm now reading The Tell-Tale Brain, by VS Ramachandran. Fascinating, although it does cover much of the same territory as his earlier book, Phantoms in the Brain.

Which continues to be fascinating. For an introduction to his work, I recommend downloading his lecture series from the recently published Reith Lectures archives.

I've just started Paranormality by Richard Wiseman. It's a gallop through several examples of 'paranormal' phenomena, examining their psychological basis and the reasons why we're so easily deceived into believing how such bull plop has any significance beyond delusion and fraud.

Edited by Guest

Voices by Arnaldur Indridason.

Icelandic murder mystery. I love Iceland. It's strange, the people are strange, the climate is strange, the landscape is strange and so far this book encapsulates the oddness of the place and the people. Loving it.