The "I am currently reading" thread

discodown

Cromwell: Our Chief of Men by Antonia Fraser. A long and in depth biography of the Lord Protector. At times heavy going and quite academic but with fascinating insights into all aspects of the turbulent times before and after the civil war.

In the 70's I read and enjoyed reading this and Fraser's Charles 2nd biography I thought they gave a very good perspective from both sides of the civil war and its aftermath.

The Secrets of Pain, Phil Rickman's brand new one, ...

Which was excellent, even given that the spookiness has been rather toned down for this one, and that the focus has drifted a little away from Merrily and Ledwardine. Reading Midwinter of the Spirit, the second book in the series, is recommended before wading in to this one if you want to appreciate fully the references to events past.

Inevitably, I'm now reading The Good, The Bad and The Multiplex, Mark Kermode's new one.

Just finished Stuart Maconie's Pies and Prejudice, an account of his journeys round the North. Not bad, but I kept getting the feeling that I could have written it quite easily - he's been to the same places as I have and largely thought the same about them as I did.

Now on to Four and Twenty Virgins by James McClure, who was better known for his series of Kramer & Zondi crime novels set in South Africa.

Just finished a couple of excellent ghost stories by Susan Hill: The Small Hand and The Mist in the Mirror. Highly recommended, as long as you don't mind a few flailing ends.

Moved on to The Vows of Silence, fourth in Hill's thoroughly unconventional detective fiction series, and Casting the Runes and Other Ghost Stories by MR James.

Just finished a couple of excellent ghost stories by Susan Hill: The Small Hand and The Mist in the Mirror. Highly recommended, as long as you don't mind a few flailing ends.

Moved on to The Vows of Silence, fourth in Hill's thoroughly unconventional detective fiction series, and Casting the Runes and Other Ghost Stories by MR James.

I've enjoyed the first three Simon Serrailler novels so must get round to the fourth. As for M.R James, they are classics.