The "I am currently reading" thread

discodown

I'm currently reading The Windup Girl by Paolo Bacigalupi.

I'm not very far into it so far so I don't really know what the story is about but I'm loving the Thailand based setting of a world where fossil fuels have been depleted, biotechnology has replaced computer technology and the natural plant-life of the Earth has been devastated through the warfare between the 'calories companies', multinational corporations that on the one hand claim to be feeding the world/supplying the calories (energy) needed to run machinary whilst fighting each other through genetically engineered plagues that wipe out whole species of plants to create markets for their latest products.

Does anyone else go through stages where you just cant face reading??

I started reading 'One day' a couple of weeks ago, read the first few chapters and absolutely love it, but have been unable to pick it up since :(

Aye. I go from one extreme to the other.

One day I might be constantly reading, then next thing you know I don't pick up a book for months and have no desire to.

Yes, I've been bookless for nearly a fortnight because there was nothing that inspired me on my book pile. I finally started The Darkest Room, a ghost/murder(?) mystery by Johan Theorin and translated from the Swedish but I haven't really got going with it. I like a nice long car journey or a holiday away from distractions to get into a book but I've just been too busy recently.

The Guns of Avalon by Roger Zelazny. Second book in the Amber Chronicles. Pretty good so far. Excellent plot. Some skim reading involved, which I don't usually like to do, when the description of scenery goes on for a little too long and I'd prefer to get back to the story.

I started reading 'One day' a couple of weeks ago, read the first few chapters and absolutely love it, but have been unable to pick it up since :(

Yeah i have phases of reading. While on my PGCE i was unable to read books i wanted to as had no time so as soon as i finished I ploughed through 3 books in about a month and started a 4th but havent picked it up for about 2 weeks (Dawn French- Dear Fatty).

I have got hold of a copy of The Help so gonna read that I think and then go back to Dawn's book when i finish then