The "I am currently reading" thread

discodown

Tom Robbins' Jitterbug Perfume.

Acquired this book for free and thought I may aswell give it a go, not knowing what to expect at all. It's brilliant! I find Robbin's style of writing really engaging and funny, making it very difficult to put down. I've never really delved into fantasy novels and this has made a welcome change from my usual genre of books.

I've only a bit left to read and as soon as I have I'm going to source more of Robbin's novels.

I'm just reading "Beyond the Body Farm".

It's a factual book, by a forensic scientist who was instrumental in setting up the forensic facility called The Body Farm.

At the body farm, forensicists study the way human remains decay, the rates at which they do so, and what effects the climate, and whether the remains are exposed or covered has on the rates of decay.

The author describes a number of cases he was involved in, which were aided by the studies at the body farm. It's fascinating stuff, where the tiniest clues were instrumental in solving cases, from a tooth-imprint in a cigar-butt convicting a murderer, to maggot pupae on a burnt corpse proving that the murderer returned a whole fortnight after the murder, to burn the remains. amazing stuff.

Timoleon Vieta Come Home by Dan Rhodes. The blurb says it's like Lassie Come Home directed by David Lynch and this isn't far off. Perhaps if you're an animal lover of a nervous disposition though you might want to give this one a miss.

Must admit I've enjoyed everything I've read by Dan Rhodes - he's funny, original, surreal and very readable.

The Return of Captain John Emmett by Elizabeth Speller.

I was recommended this by my partner and so far so good. A mystery surrounds the suicide of a returning WW1 Captain who survived the horrors of war only to apparently shoot himself later.

I suspect there may be more to it!

Timoleon Vieta Come Home by Dan Rhodes. The blurb says it's like Lassie Come Home directed by David Lynch and this isn't far off. Perhaps if you're an animal lover of a nervous disposition though you might want to give this one a miss.

Must admit I've enjoyed everything I've read by Dan Rhodes - he's funny, original, surreal and very readable.

Isn't he they guy who did that book of 100 word short stories? I read that - very entertaining.