The "I am currently reading" thread

discodown

Foundation trilogy by Isaac Asimov, one of my all-time favorites.

great to hear of another Asimov fan ! read the entire set about 20 yrs ago and still sometimes pick it up. big fan of his and other hard SF authors.

any other fav asimov titles?

have you read any Phillip K Dick, Larry Niven (ringworld is a classic) ?

great to hear of another Asimov fan ! read the entire set about 20 yrs ago and still sometimes pick it up. big fan of his and other hard SF authors.

any other fav asimov titles?

have you read any Phillip K Dick, Larry Niven (ringworld is a classic) ?

I read Philip K Dick's book, "Do Androids dream Of Electric Sheep?", the novel on which Blade Runner was based. If I am honest, I was a bit ambivalent to the book, even though some of the scene setting (like the Store full of junk and clutter, where one of the characters lived) did reproduce well into the film.

I loved "I, Robot", both as the novel, and as the Will Smith film, even though the two stories were quite different. I also loved the short story (The Positronic Man") that "Bicentennial Man" was based on.

I read Philip K Dick's book, "Do Androids dream Of Electric Sheep?", the novel on which Blade Runner was based. If I am honest, I was a bit ambivalent to the book, even though some of the scene setting (like the Store full of junk and clutter, where one of the characters lived) did reproduce well into the film.

I loved "I, Robot", both as the novel, and as the Will Smith film, even though the two stories were quite different. I also loved the short story (The Positronic Man") that "Bicentennial Man" was based on.

have you read any Larry Niven SF ? His are pretty good works, William Gibson (neuromancer, Sprawl trilogy) all highly recommended if you havent read them. Frank Herbert and his Dune series was also a great read.

a lot of the great SF writers were only short story writers, AE Van vogt is another favourite of mine.

not always a big fan of modern SF writers as such but there are so many good titles to go at!

have you read any Larry Niven SF ? His are pretty good works, William Gibson (neuromancer, Sprawl trilogy) all highly recommended if you havent read them. Frank Herbert and his Dune series was also a great read.

a lot of the great SF writers were only short story writers, AE Van vogt is another favourite of mine.

not always a big fan of modern SF writers as such but there are so many good titles to go at!

No, I don't recall reading any Larry Niven. I might have a look out for him. I read the Dune trilogy back in the early 1980s, IIRC, and they didn't really grab me, like I thought they would,to be honest.

One SF story that really haunted me was one by Ray Bradbury. I think it was originally written as a young peoples' book (Not young children but mid teens, as it was, IMO, quite scary). It was called "A Rag, A Bone And A Hank Of Hair" about a little boy, living through the second world war - or so you thought. He then discovers he is living in a "Truman" type world, bit more malevolent. His behaviour, and responses are being observed, by some sort of "overlords", and he discovers he and his "family" are actually living centuries hence, and are just clones, ressurected from... yes, you guessed it, a rag, a bone and a hank of hair...

Correction:- the author was not Ray Bradbury, it was Nicholas Fisk! I apologise!

Edited by Plain Talker

Having finished G.D.H. and M. Cole's Dead Man's Watch, and then read The Great Southern Mystery by the same authors, I'm now half way through Corpse in the Constable's Garden by them as well. Also known as Corpse in Canonicals (the later cheap edition I've got has the first title, but the page headers have all got the second one on). Must admit I'm quite enjoying these, though I think it might be time for a change next before I get too entrenched in the 1930's.

• 3 weeks later...