The "I am currently reading" thread

discodown

oh, PS,

I got the sequel and the prequel, yesterday, to my current read, Phillipa Gregory's "The Other Boleyn Girl", I got "The Constant Princess" (the prequel, focuses on Katherine of Aragon) and "the Boleyn Inheritance", which tells the story of after Anne Boleyn (Jane Seymour, Anne of Cleves, and Catherine Howard). I'm really enjoying "TOBG" and am looking forward to getting my teeth into "TBI".

I have read her books, some years ago, and a few months ago, I re-read one of the "heaven" series, just to see if it was as dire and bleak as I remembered... it was!!!

I really do find V-A's books formulaic, unimaginative, and "written-by-numbers". And, (IMO) poorly written at that.

The plots are just so same-y, and salacious, in all her series, the "flowers" series the "heaven" series, the "My Sweet Audrina" book (s?) etc...

And yes, the ones written after her death (the "new" Virginia Andrews) definitely get worse.

Yes, I think you're right PT.

I read them when I was about 12 or 13 - there was a real craze at school for them - definitely not what you'd call suitable reading material ;)

Rather yucky themes pretty poorly executed, for the most part.

Yes, I think you're right PT.

I read them when I was about 12 or 13 - there was a real craze at school for them - definitely not what you'd call suitable reading material ;)

Rather yucky themes pretty poorly executed, for the most part.

Extremely "dodgy" themes:- incest and assault, for the most part. I dread to think what was going on inVA's head, for her to think up plots based on this sole premise (In more than one series of books!)

I have managed to find a copy of Robert Heinlein's Starship Troopers which i must have read about 15 years ago - loved it, then that dreadful film came out, and now i'm reading the book again - and it's just as good as i remember it!

I was currently reading "the ghosts of sleath" by James Herbert, and I couldn't put it down. Only i fell asleep on the bus last night on the way home from work and lost it.

I'm right ****** off, It was really good. Im reading one by Lynn Andrews called "the O'donnell Sisters" its ok.

gizzy.

I've just finished reading Velocity by Dean Koontz, Loved it :thumbsup:

Couldn't put that down when i was reading it. Like watching a rollercoaster film.

I'm reading sushi for beginners by Marian Keyes. Should finish it tonight. Then i think i'm going to reread adrian mole as i had to use it for school the other day and i was laughing trying to find a clean bit!! I have another sue townsend as well so it will be one or the other.

just had a major addiction to harlan coben - i was off work sick and read a box set of ten in 5 days!!!! damn good books. currently reading the diceman by luke reinhart. so far its a little odd because it is apparently true and the behaviour in the book is crazy but its proving to be a pretty good read.