The "I am currently reading" thread

discodown

Ash by James Herbert.

I read my first Herbert book in 1986 IIRC. I've read every book of his since then and Ash looks like it's going to be another great read. (He's mellowed over the years so I guess Ash will be more Ghosts Of Sleath than Domain or The Fog!)

What do you think of it?

I've just bought the Kindle edition for 20p on Amazon (glad I waited a bit before buying now!), so it's next on the list after finishing the Rickman.

• 5 weeks later...

Currently reading:

Common Sense, The American Crisis and Rights of Man - Thomas Paine

Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring - Tolkein

I've read it before, but it's funny how the film distorts the story. In the book Sam is absolutely submissive, calling Frodo 'Master'. It's not on the level of friendship - it's weird. Secondly, Merry and Pippin aren't the comic foil that they are in the films. They're even important in organising the trip, rather than getting swept along by accident.

What do you think of it?

I've just bought the Kindle edition for 20p on Amazon (glad I waited a bit before buying now!), so it's next on the list after finishing the Rickman.

Ash by James Herbert:

Very nearly finished and it's good but unless something really surprising happens over the next 60 pages, it's not one of his best.

It is truly gruesome in places though and it's nice to see he still likes to have rats in his stories!

Eight out of ten going into the last few chapters....

The Remorseful Day by Colin Dexter. On TV, Morse came over as a bloke who liked a couple of pints - regularly but in the book, on one day he has 3 pints at noon, a sleep, large whisky, more pints, more whisky and a hangover the next day. Maybe he overdrinks in this book only as, I believe he pops his clogs in this one and is feeling regularly in poor health.

Ash by James Herbert:

Very nearly finished and it's good but unless something really surprising happens over the next 60 pages, it's not one of his best.

It is truly gruesome in places though and it's nice to see he still likes to have rats in his stories!

Eight out of ten going into the last few chapters....

Yours is one of the better reviews I've seen. I've yet to get started on it, but I shall; I made it through the staggeringly awful 'Once...' and it'll have to go some to beat that one.

The Remorseful Day by Colin Dexter. On TV, Morse came over as a bloke who liked a couple of pints - regularly but in the book, on one day he has 3 pints at noon, a sleep, large whisky, more pints, more whisky and a hangover the next day. Maybe he overdrinks in this book only as, I believe he pops his clogs in this one and is feeling regularly in poor health.

Both Morse and Frost were toned down massively for television, Morse especially. While TV's Morse clearly loved a pint ('Morse? Are you the drinker?'), the original version was also quite a bit of a letch.

While Colin Dexter embraced the new Morse, and even modified certain aspects of Morse's world in subsequent stories to take into account the TV incarnation, RD Wingfield completely rejected David Jason's Frost, saying that while Jason was a fine actor, the portrayal had little to do with his Frost.

Edited by Guest

I finished Ash by James Herbert and I'll stick at eight out of ten and that might be being generous.

The plot is a bit comical - Princess Di's son born premature when she threw herself downstairs? - and in the end I wondered what the whole point of the story was.

Add to that, at nearly 700 pages, it's probably 300 pages too long.

Fortunately, I love Herbert's narrative; he's still a wonderful writer.

But if you want classic Herbert like The Rats, The Fog and Domain, then Ash isn't it.