The "I am currently reading" thread

discodown

Recently read The Song of Achilles - Madeline Millar.

It was a gift which I would never ever have picked up off the shelf, however it was the best book I have read in the last 12 months. Don't be put off by the fact that its set in ancient Greece, I would have been put off yet I loved it.

My partner read that whilst we were on Lesbos last year and really loved it.

Just finished City by Clifford D. Simak (good old fashioned SF from the 50s) and now I'm on to Making the Alphabet Dance by Ross Eckler, which is all about wordplay: palindromes, anagrams, pangrams and so on. Recreational linguistics as opposed to recreational mathematics.

Dry Bones That Dream, an Inspector Banks novel by Peter Robinson. A decent enough murder mystery, gripping but lightweight.

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

---------- Post added 21-04-2013 at 19:03 ----------

The Last Coyote by Michael Cornelly. Very good so far.

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

• 3 months later...

Currently just over half way through Dominion by C.J. Sansom.

Really interesting novel set in an alternate history where Churchill is never made PM, Britain and France make peace with Germany in 1940 and are effectively turned into vassal states to Hitler's Germany, becoming more and more fascist over the next two decades. Against that a resistance movement, led by Churchill, tries to fight back.

Currently reading A Darkness More Than Light by Michael Connelly.

One of his Harry Bosch series, but this time with Harry as suspect rather than investigator.

Good, throwaway, holiday reading, nothing too serious or eath-shattering.

Colour: Travels Through the Paintbox by Victoria Finlay.

Fascinating. The author travels around the world to research the historical, cultural and - just a little bit of - the scientific background of pigments and dyes. Although the book is beautifully written, the enormous breadth of the subject is sometimes at the expense of depth.

I'm about halfway through The Windup Girl by Paolo Bacigalupi, which won both of the major SF awards and so far would seem to deserve it.

It's a good book although I enjoyed it more for the imaginative and well-thought out setting than the plot.