The "I am currently reading" thread

discodown

1861 by Adam Goodheart, it is a book telling of how the American Civil War started, also gives a real insight as to how black people were treat, they tried to set in place such motions as that blacks would never be considered American or even part of the human race just slaves.

'Dead Simple' by Peter James. On a drunken stag night the groom to be is buried in a coffin by his mates as a prank and off they go to the next pub, intending to release their captive in an hour or two. Its got me hooked by page 60. I think it would make a great movie.

have read that book and all the ones that follow. it is an excellent novel and the first of many. it keeps going to the end. peter james is a great author. all the ones in the series start with "dead..." if you decide to read the others try to read them in order as certain characters develop

---------- Post added 31-12-2013 at 12:32 ----------

I've just finished reading 'Sacrifice' by S J Bolton. Gripping and dark stuff - a cross between the Wickerman and CSI. Though it stretches credibility at the end.

She's written other books, some of which I have ordered. Some of the characters who appeared in that novel crop up in her later books, so possibly good to read in order they were written.

i enjoyed this book too but also thought it got a bit far fetched in the end

On my third Rebus book in a week, The Falls by Ian Rankin.

I usually like to leave a gap between them but the last two I read, Hanging Garden and Dead Souls were so good I feel like he was on a bit of a roll when he wrote them.

Off up to Edinburgh next month so they're just the things to wet my appetite. Oxford Bar here we come (again!)

Just finished 'Summoned by Bells' by John Betjeman, now I'm onto 'Going, Going, Gone' by Jack Womack. Two rather contrasting volumes certainly. I've enjoyed all the Womack books before this one (they're all sort of set in the same alternate future), so I'm expecting to enjoy this one as well; it's just a shame that he seems to have given up writing them.

Notes from an Exhibition by Patrick Gale.

Very engaging story about the aftermath of a painter's death and the secrets she leaves behind for her family.

Picked it up ages ago but only just decided to give it a go and I'm glad I did. Warm, intriguing, well observed and a pleasure to read.