The "I am currently reading" thread

discodown

The Hydrogen Sonata- Iain M Banks.

Ripsnorting culture story - too many humanoids in it as usual. Not looking forward to the ending, because nearly all Banks' endings are poor. His beginnings are without parallel, and his middle bits generally scoot along nicely, but his endings are pants. Not pants enough to spoil the books, not quite, but pants nevertheless.

The Hydrogen Sonata- Iain M Banks.

Ripsnorting culture story - too many humanoids in it as usual. Not looking forward to the ending, because nearly all Banks' endings are poor. His beginnings are without parallel, and his middle bits generally scoot along nicely, but his endings are pants. Not pants enough to spoil the books, not quite, but pants nevertheless.

You won't be disappointed. A wonderful journey to a mundane end.

Surface detail had a good twist at the end and I thought the retribution at the end of Look to Windward was good, but generally you are correct. Matter was a great read and a damp squib. The Algebraist was just a long rambling nothingness.

Excession worked for me, but the true genius will always be Use of Weapons. He is Elithiomel, he is the chairmaker!

Ahh, it would be Player of Games for me - that had a real ending, his best IMHO.

Not yet touched Surface Detail or Matter, but they are on the list.

---------- Post added 29-01-2014 at 20:04 ----------

And I quite liked the Algebraist actually. It's things like Song of Stone that leave me cold.

Ahh, it would be Player of Games for me - that had a real ending, his best IMHO.

Not yet touched Surface Detail or Matter, but they are on the list.

---------- Post added 29-01-2014 at 20:04 ----------

And I quite liked the Algebraist actually. It's things like Song of Stone that leave me cold.

Song of Stone was just rubbish, akin to Canal Dreams in his mainstream books.

Just finished The Blue Bed, a book of short stories by the Welsh author Glyn Jones from 1937, which reminded me very much of Caradoc Evans' much earlier book Capel Sion. Very Welsh, really.

Now onto The Girl on the Boat by P.G. Wodehouse, which is typically Wodehousian.

I'd agree with that. Use Of Weapons has the most memorable ending but Player Of Games is the all-round better story and more satisfying ending.

I personally thought that The Hydrogen Sonata was a return to form for Bank's culture novels after a few so-so stories. At least he left it on a high.

---------- Post added 31-01-2014 at 23:27 ----------

Just finished The Lies Of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch after many years of never getting around to reading it. Excellent book, really enjoyed it.

Now starting Ravenor Rogue by Dan Abnett.