The "I am currently reading" thread

discodown

The Naming of the Dead by Ian Rankin. During a week in Edinburgh I'd read the previous 2 of the Rebus series and am nearly at the conclusion of this one. Very good but you can see things coming to a close, or at least a major change in the offing.

Nice to be able to envisage the locations as they are in real life, including the Oxford Ba.r

Autobiography of David Shepherd, Devonian cricketer and umpire. Not so much a story; more a list of facts and figures so I'm speed reading some of it then slowing down when I get to an interesting bit.

Ol' Shep.

Does he explain why he used to do that little skip whenever the scoreboard read 111? What was all that about?:huh:

---------- Post added 26-02-2014 at 15:02 ----------

Just finished Stephen King's Doctor Sleep, a sequel to The Shining.

Whilst the latter was a gripping, captivating and spooky story, the former fell short by quite a distance. In fact, the end seemed quite ill-thought out and even rushed.

Not in the same league as The Green Mile or even 11.22.63.

Ian Rankin, Exit Music.

Rebus' last outing before retirement......and subsequent rebirth.

Very good so far with the usual mix of Edinburgh lowlife and highlife, gangsters and politicians, druggies and bankers.

This one with added Russian businessmen.

It will be sad to see Rebus go. Thankfully it wasn't for long.

111 is Shep's bogey number. Apparently cricketers look upon it as a Nelson - one eye, one arm, one ambition. The Australians view 87 as a number to be feared. Why Shep had to momentarily stand on one leg? He says its his way of throwing salt over his shoulder as 111 is a number to be feared. 'Jonners' was greatly amused by Sheps antics. I am confused by them.

---------- Post added 02-03-2014 at 15:22 ----------

A Year in the Merde by Stephen Clarke. Quite amusing.

Two on the go at the moment:

The American Civil War, John Keegan

A Very Strange Way To Go To War. The Canberra In The Falklands, Andrew Vine.

A fascinating angle of a conflict I hitherto thought I knew everything about.