The "I am currently reading" thread

discodown

Hamlet had an uncle by James Branch Cabell. I don't know why, but I find that Cabell has a dry, droll style with a mischievous sense of humour that just appeals to me. If you've never read his most well known book, Jurgen, it's well worth tracking down a cheap second hand copy.

Dead Right by Peter Robinson. A fairly early DCI Banks detective story. So far so good.

Will have to look for that, enjoy watching DCI banks on TV. Currently reading first wives club by Olivia goldsmith. Before that I had been reading sail by james Patterson.

Will have to look for that, enjoy watching DCI banks on TV. Currently reading first wives club by Olivia goldsmith. Before that I had been reading sail by james Patterson.

The books are quite different. I saw the adaptation of Wednesday's Child a few weeks ago and the story was different and considerably darker in the book, far more gruesome and far more distressing.

Currently on another early DCI Banks story, In a Dry Season. Fairly predictable so far but it does introduce Annie Cabott who becomes one of the major characters through the series.

Finished James Branch Cabell's Hamlet had an Uncle, which kept up its level of urbane wittiness right to the end.

Now about half way through Parody Party, a collection of parodies of writers of the inter-war years published in 1936. So far, Rose Macaulay's parody of Hemingway has been very good, and so has the one of Hugh Walpole by Francis Iles (aka Anthony Berkeley, aka A.B. Cox). But then I expected nothing less because Berkeley/Iles/Cox has always been one of my favourite authors (see here for Martin Edwards article about him).

Still to come later in the book are pieces by several other well known personages of the time including John Betjeman. So far certainly, very amusing.