The "I am currently reading" thread

discodown

Just started reading Emperor Of Thorns by Mark Lawrence. Slow going at the moment, mainly because I'm spending my spare time rewatching The Wire... ;)

How did you/ are you finding it FG?

I read the first one but it didn't really do it for me so was wondering whether to persevere and get the other two in the series.....?

Currently reading Throne of the Crescent Moon by Saladin Ahmed. Very entertaining romp so far!

• 2 weeks later...

The Impossible Dead by Ian Rankin. One of his Malcom Fox novels about investigating the police rotten apples. Only sat down to read it for ten minutes but ended up 120 pages in. He can write a good story, Mr Rankin

Standing in Another Man's Grave, by Ian Rankin.

Rebus returns!! It's been on the book shelf for a while but I just finished one of his Fox novels and, basically, just craved more of his writing. Fast paced and intelligent, love it.

Just started 'Not to mention camels' by R.A. Lafferty. It might be called a science fiction novel (in the widest, loosest sense of the term) but what it really is is Laffertian.

RAL was a science fiction writer who didn't start writing until he was in his forties, but from the 1960s to the 1980s produced a slew of very individualistic short stories and idiosyncratic novels - it's pretty easy to tell that you're reading something by him just from the style. His short stories were more successful than the novels and you can find them in loads of anthologies from the period, but it's fair to say that he's a bit of an acquired taste.