The "I am currently reading" thread

discodown

Sisyphus is the only one of his I've read. I came across a copy of 'the Rebel' lurking in my study the otherday. the Paramilitary Wing of the local Existentialists must have snuck in and planted it there.... :)

Sisyphus is the one where he discusses the ultimate Existentialist quandry; is the only solution to the absurdity of modern life suicide? It's a good read.

Know what you mean about getting sidetracked, though!

I love The Plague and the Outsider, The Fall is a little difficult to get into but once you're there it's worth it. I'll have to have a look at Sisyphus.

With regards to bookshops, i'm awful, even if I take a list of things I want, I still end up coming out with something completely different!

I have just finished reading the Lovely Bones by Alice sebold. It was a good and very moving book, not as sad as I thought it would be. I think there is a film being made of the book, but I would find that sad as I do not think it could carry you through in the same way as the book..depends who the actors are maybe?

I have just finished reading the Lovely Bones by Alice sebold. It was a god and very moving book, not as sad as I thought it would be. I think thre is a film being made of the book, but I would find that sad as I do not think it could cary you through in the same way s the book..depends who the actors are maybe?

I read that a few years ago, and found it very moving.

Im reading " Lolita" by Vladimir Nabokov.Its classed as a "Comedy,subversive yet divine". Ive only read the first few pages, so dont know what it will be like.

I think Martin Amis said that, didn't he? I wish Waterstone's had a comedy subsection for 'Subversive yet divine' novels ;)

Lolita is possibly my all-time-desert-island-if-I-had-to-choose-JUST-one-novel, novel. Pure magic.

I started Joseph Conrad's "Heart of Darkness" last night and it's okay. Does anybody know if Apocalypse Now copied it? Going up a river to meet a man called Kurtz. I know that story.

Ah, checking Amazon, it is:

Apocalypse Now: It began as a John Milius screenplay, transposing Joseph Conrad's classic story Heart of Darkness onto the horrors of the Vietnam War

I started Joseph Conrad's "Heart of Darkness" last night and it's okay. Does anybody know if Apocalypse Now copied it? Going up a river to meet a man called Kurtz. I know that story.

Ah, checking Amazon, it is:

I was going to say yes, "Apocalypse Now" was based on "Heart of Darkness", but you've found it for yourself. :)

StarSparkle