The "I am currently reading" thread

discodown

Listening to an unabridged recording of Stephen King's 'It'. Creepy enough on the page, having Pennywise whisper in your ear as you fall asleep is definitely not recommended.

"Anger Is An Energy", the autobiography of John Lydon, aka Johnny Rotten of the Sex Pistols and later PIL (Public Image Limited). Quite interesting read, he tells the story of his early life in a poor, Irish family in London, his close brush with death, from meningitis aged seven, which left him with amnesia, through him working with Malcolm Maclaren, and vivienne Westwood.

I'm about halfway through, so far.

it's been interesting, although the writing style is a little too "stream of conciousness" for my liking.

• 3 weeks later...

Just finished 'The Last Word' by Ben McIntyre, a collection of columns from the Times book sections about books, words and so on. I thought I was going to enjoy this, and for a bit I did, but after a while the author's habit of repeating himself got rather annoying - it could have done with a good edit. For example there were two pieces about people reviewing books on Amazon that were very similar, and I lost count of the number of times he explained what Chinglish was.

Anyway now for something different - 'The Moorstone Sickness' by Bernard Taylor, which looks as though it might be set somewhere like the Peak District - a bit like Ramsey Campbell's 'The Hungry Moon' maybe.

Edit: ah, no, it turns out it's Dartmoor instead.

Edited by metalman

Surface Detail, Iain.M.Banks - meh.

---------- Post added 28-01-2015 at 00:57 ----------

Just finished Hogfather by Terry Pratchett

I'm working my way through the series, although not in order of appearance sometimes. Next up...the light fantastic.

There are only two connected books in the Discworld series, and they are the first two. My advice for reading enjoyment and a bit more continuity would be to read "The colour of magic" before "The light fantastic", if you haven't already.

Bernard Taylor's 'The Moorstone Sickness' turned out to be an excellent little horror novel. You can see what's coming, but it builds up to its climax rapidly so you keep turning the page (in contrast to the T.E.D. Klein one I read a few weeks ago). Definitely an underrated writer, and since I enjoyed that one, I've decided to read his first book, 'The Godsend' next.