The "I am currently reading" thread

discodown

Currently reading Operation Garbo: The Personal Story of the Most Successful Spy in World War II, by Nigel West and Juan Pujol Garcia (the man who was Garbo).

Fascinating story about how Juan bluffed the Germans into believing that he was their top spy in England and running a huge spy network on their behalf and how MI5 worked with him to fool them into doing exactly what the Allies wanted on D-Day.

CJ Sansom's latest in the Shardlake series, Lamentation.

I'm only on page 180 but it already has every ingredient which I so, so love about this writer. It's the sixth book I've read by Sansom.

I love these - just about to start on the 4th. Sort of "Name of the Rose" meets "Rumpole of the Bailey".

---------- Post added 14-04-2015 at 23:20 ----------

Almost finished The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt. It's a lengthy book, but so beautifully written. I shall be quite sad to finish it.

That was my holiday read last year - would highly recommend, I really got lost in this one.

I've just finished The Miniaturist by Jessie Burton. I'd be interested in what you lot think of this one. It got loads of rave reviews, but hmmm, well I don't want to give anything away....I'm in two minds about it.

Would recommend a few books I've really enjoyed reading recently:-

Lifting the Latch by Sheila Stewart - a biography of a long gone way of life set in Oxfordshire in the early / mid 20th century. It follows the life of a shepherd of those times. Interesting, sad and funny at the same time.

The Belle Fields by Lora Adams - fiction but a very good coverage of life at both ends of the social scale at the turn of the 19th century. Set in a local village it involves some good descriptive passages highlighting how they and the powerful they worked for related to each other. Hard to imagine how the poor were treated just over 100 years ago. Good descriptions of how they celebrated different big events throughout the year.

Brother to the Ox - Fred Kitchen - again set in the early 20th century it covers the childhood and working life of the author as a farm-hand - again funny but serious stuff on how these folks lived and worked - again set locally it covers the hiring of farm labour at the local Statutes Fairs, how they were treated and just how hard they grafted. Again less than 100 years ago.

Anyone who tries any of them, hope they enjoy them.:)