The "I am currently reading" thread

discodown

Still trudging my way through Proust's incredibly tedious 'In search of lost time'. I think you'd need a lobotomy to make it to the end though, to be honest. I might read another thousand pages, just to see if anything actually happens, if not, knock it on the head.

You're a scholar and a gentleman, reading it so we don't have to!

I read 'The Fault in Our Stars' while I was in hospital recently, and was glad to be in a private room as it meant embarrassing myself less with crying.

I'm currently on Dark Places by Gillian Flynn and The Girl in the Red Coat by Kate Hamer, both of which are rather good, and when I finish those I've got several of this year's Costa shortlist and a few by Pat Barker, Ian Rankin and Kate Atkinson lined up next.

'Lined up next ?', hopefully not for another hospital stay !

House of Holes by Nicholson Baker. In chapter 1, a woman finds a friendly severed arm in a quarry. It turns out to belong to a man called Dave, who gave it up in exchange for a larger different body part. The arm then transports her to the erotic resort of the title. If you've read Baker's The Fermata, you'll have a pretty good idea what happens next.

A is for Arsenic: The Poisons of Agatha Christie by Kathryn Harkup, and Two for Sorrow by Nicola Upson, the third in her Josephine Tey series.

Hard Frost by R.D. Wingfield. I never watched the Touch of Frost series so didn't really know what to expect. The usual police station intrigues...maverick cop, stickler boss, new woman on the team, resentful colleagues etc.....It all gets a bit hackneyed and cliched after a while.

Odd bits of humour do rescue it though.