The "I am currently reading" thread

discodown

They Fought Alone: The True Story of SOE's Agents in Wartime France by Maurice Buckmaster, the man who built and was in charge of the Special Operations Executive during WW2.

This is the fascinating retelling of the creation of the SOE from an initial, almost amateur organisation that had no respect within the British military to the serious military organisation that cause a huge amount of problems for the Germans in occupied France. It's largely taken from the recollections of Buckmaster due to SOE not keeping detailed records. It covers the initial creation of SOE, the first faltering steps at infiltrating France, successes, failures, betrayals and the final open warfare against the Germans that liberated parts of Frances long before the Ally armies reached them after D-Day.

Still working my way through the Andrew Miller back catalogue. Having read 'Pure' and 'Ingenious Pain', both beautifully written, I'm on with 'Oxygen' now, which is a lot more contemporary than the previous two.

From what I can gather, it's about the comparisons of a play by a Hungarian emigre about miners trapped underground (and running out of air) in a mining disaster, and the real life drama unfolding around its translator from Hungarian to English. Intriguing.

At the same time, just started 'I was Dora Suarez' by Derek Raymond. Not far into it but there's already been two slayings by an axe wielding psychopath (seeing them from his perspective) leaving little to the imagination … certainly too graphic to relate in an organ such as this. Interesting.

Pure is excellent, very evocative and one of those that stays with you. It also contains the line "a feather of smoke leaned into the room" which I thought was great.

The Last Englishman by Keith Foskett. The story of walking the more than 2,000 mile Pacific Crest Trail through California, Oregon and Washington. Initially engaging but I'm starting to find it a bit samey now - got up, walked, got blisters, saw a bear, ran out of water, ate lots of food in a diner, lather rinse repeat ...