The "I am currently reading" thread

discodown

Just finished Isaac Asimov's I, Robot which I thought beforehand I'd probably find a bit puerile given that I haven't read anything by Asimov since I was about 13, but actually I rather enjoyed it.

Now on to some trashy horror with One Rainy Night by Richard Laymon.

Having zoomed through the Baron-Cohen book (recommended!), I've just picked up The Gene: An Intimate History by Siddhartha Mukherjee. It's a hefty great slab of a book charting the history of genetics from Mendel to the explosion of research post-2001. In depth, fascinating, and beautifully written.

A Place Called Winter by Patrick Gale. A happily-enough married Edwardian gentleman is caught out in an indiscretion with another man. Obliged to leave his nice wife and cherished daughter he attempts to forge a new life in Canada. A sometimes distressing account of being gay in an era when that was made impossible, but it's not really a depressing book. Strong storyline, great characters and humorous nuances, and wonderfully written. Patrick Gale is new to me but it turns out he's written loads of books which all seem to get good reviews. I've just ordered another one from the library, looking forward to it.

Saturday Requiem by Nicci French. The penultimate book of their 'day' series, featuring intensely annoying psychotherapist Frieda Klein.

I've stuck with the series because I like Nicci French, but I don't think these are their best work.

• 2 weeks later...
A Place Called Winter by Patrick Gale. A happily-enough married Edwardian gentleman is caught out in an indiscretion with another man. Obliged to leave his nice wife and cherished daughter he attempts to forge a new life in Canada. A sometimes distressing account of being gay in an era when that was made impossible, but it's not really a depressing book. Strong storyline, great characters and humorous nuances, and wonderfully written. Patrick Gale is new to me but it turns out he's written loads of books which all seem to get good reviews. I've just ordered another one from the library, looking forward to it.

Ok I've just finished Ease also by Patrick Gale. Disappointing! Not in the same league at all.

Had a long train journey on Sunday so I picked a random book from the shop.

- Different Class by Joanne Harris.

The diary format makes it easy to get stuck into; I'm not sure I like the angle it's just taken around possession, but I'll obviously stick with it.

Just finished 'kings over the water' by Theo Aronson. A history book about the Stuart pretenders to the throne. Particularly good as it covers the aftermath of 1746 and follows what subsequently happened to the old, young pretenders in old age. Interesting read.

Eight Months on Ghazzah Street by Hilary Mantel. An unsettling story of British ex-pats in Saudi Arabia, it's never made explicit exactly what's going on but you know it's something very bad, and it's what you're not told that makes it so disturbing. Especially when you go back and reread the first page ... Recommended.

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished 'Little Ripper' by Charles West, an Australian-set crime novel form 1991. It was the third in his Paul Crook series. If you get hot under the collar about racist and sexist language this probably isn't one for you, but I enjoyed it and it had a somewhat unexpectedly downbeat ending. I was surprised to find that the author is actually British.

Now regressing to childhood with 'Just William's Luck' by Richmal Crompton.

I know I'm a bit late on reading this one as it's been out a few years, but I bought it in a charity shop last month, at the moment I'm reading Bill Bryson's

'A short history of nearly everything'.

Different from his usual travelogues of which I've read quite a few but still a good read, explaining some of the things I've never had any idea about so that even I can understand some of it (I think).

Mind you there's been quite a bit of going over the last few pages. But I finally understand what 'half life' means.(I think).