The "I am currently reading" thread

discodown

On now to "Conclave" by Robert Harris.

this was a very good read, and it wasn't what I was expecting it to be! I'm halfway through completely forgetable "thriller" called Hanging Wood. I lost my page the other night and its so bland I couldn't actually think of anything that had happened so far :(

Edited by feargal

Just finished 'The lady in the morgue' by Jonathan Latimer. This is a hard-boiled detective novel from 1936, one of Latimer's series about private eye Bill Crane. If you're easily offended by politically incorrect language you'll probably want to give it a miss, as there are an assortment of derogatory term for black people and Italians bandied about; personally I think it's the language of the time and we should leave it that way.

Just started 'The girl in blue' by P.G. Wodehouse for a bit of lighter reading.

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, the last few Grishams I've read have been fairly bog-standard. I wonder if he's just run out of steam?

I'm currently reading "Box of Delights" by John Masefield, seeing as it's winter. I've just finished "God in Ruins" by Kate Atkinson, a Harlen Coben/Myron Bolitar novel who's name escapes me, and also "A spot of bother" by Mark Haddon. The best of which was the Kate Atkinson... others were forgettable fillers. :)

Smiley's People by John Le Carre. Totally unputdownable classic cold War spy stuff. Brilliant

Is it marking me down as some kind of sub-species when I admit I have NEVER read any Le Carre? :o

We ought to have another thread "I am not reading..."

Is it marking me down as some kind of sub-species when I admit I have NEVER read any Le Carre? :o

We ought to have another thread "I am not reading..."

I've never read any Le Carre either so we can be a sub-species of two. I don't read detective fiction either, or anything with the words chocolate, tea shop or Christmas in the title.

After watching Howard's End I've been on a bit of an EM Forster binge but am now on The Faraway Nearby by Rebecca Solnit. It's kind of a story about stories without being fiction. Highly recommended.

Each to his own - I read tons of detective fiction but I've never read a Le Carre either. I guess spying just doesn't interest me that much.

Must admit I do have several books with tea shop in the title, but they're all things like Tea Shop Walks in the Peak District and so on.

I'm just finishing off Borne by Jeff Vandermeer. He's clearly a man at the top of his game at the moment and this is as good, and as strange, as anything he's done before (though without any intelligent fungoids, at least not yet). If I say that the starting point is that a woman plucks a blob of anonymous protoplasm from the fur of the giant flying bear that terrorises their decaying city and brings it up as ... something called Borne, then it will sound completely daft, but there's more to it than that and I get the feeling that nobody will turn out to be exactly what I think they are even at this late stage.