The "I am currently reading" thread

discodown

Gave up on The Road, too depressing and just relentless. Strugling with Cloud Atlas cannot get beyond Chapter 1. Emperor's new clothes syndrome perhaps?

I enjoyed Cloud Atlas, I also read another one of his which was also good but so similar in style and content that I reckon he's a one trick pony and I won't bother with any more of his

I've just finished 'City of Thieves' by David Benioff and it's the most enjoyable book I've read in years. Totally gripping right from the first page and I'm quite disappointed that it had to end.

Just started reading 'Nineteen Minutes' by Jodi Picoult. Looks good so far and I think I will enjoy it. Also a mate with similar tastes recommended it and I've read two others of hers which were great.

Just finished: 'Gonzo. The Hunter S Thompson story'. It was an amazing biography from people who knew him all through his life, including Johnny Depp and Jack Nicholson.

Is it as good as We Need to Talk About Kevin? I've got it but not yet read it, along with the 100 other unread books next to my bed.

Maybe its a "mum thing" but I just could not stand "We need to talk about..." Godzilla gave it to me to read..and I just got so fed up after a few chapters. I skim read and got to the end and thought.... so what.

The style of writing was turgid and the plot devices predictable...I've not read anything so bad since The effing soddin davinci code.....

Maybe its a "mum thing" but I just could not stand "We need to talk about..." Godzilla gave it to me to read..and I just got so fed up after a few chapters. I skim read and got to the end and thought.... so what.

The style of writing was turgid and the plot devices predictable...I've not read anything so bad since The effing soddin davinci code.....

Oh I loved it, such a shocking powerful potrayal of a woman ambivalent about motherhood. I think the writing style was a bit pretentious, but it reflected the character of Eva well.