The "I am currently reading" thread

discodown

Just finished: Pixel Juice by Jeff Noon - the usual Jeff Noon themes really and if you've read Vurt or Pollen you'll know what they are, but very enjoyable nonetheless. Then I whizzed through Sh*t my Dad Says by Justin Halpern, an amusing enough couple of hours diversion. Now I'm back to the 1930s detective stories again with Anthony Gilbert's The Body on the Beam.

Edited by metalman

13 hours ago, taxman said:

The Woman in the Woods by John Connolly.

More supernatural goings on in Maine with arcane books, old gods and strange killers on the prowl.

Just finished that one.  Great series, but I think it peaked with The Lovers.  Splendid writer though.

Spoiler

The dead daughter/odd daughter thing is tiresome, and Parker seems a bit of a flat, glib superhero type after his trip to the beyond.

New one out tomorrow.

On 17/04/2019 at 23:05, Hecate said:

Just finished that one.  Great series, but I think it peaked with The Lovers.  Splendid writer though.

Reveal spoiler

The dead daughter/odd daughter thing is tiresome, and Parker seems a bit of a flat, glib superhero type after his trip to the beyond.

New one out tomorrow.

I think The Lovers is one of the very few of his I haven't read. Was a bit dissappointed with The Woman in the Woods, seemed to meander towards a very unsatisfactory ending.

4 hours ago, taxman said:

I think The Lovers is one of the very few of his I haven't read. Was a bit dissappointed with The Woman in the Woods, seemed to meander towards a very unsatisfactory ending.

The Lovers fills in the background for Parker's dad, and is central to the mythology established in The  Black Angel.  That seems to have taken a bit of a back seat after The Wrath of Angels, even though with that book we still don't know what Parker really is (though thanks to the  Collector we know what he isn't).

I've just bought the new one, though my main motivation is finding out how Angel's doing.

I'm now well into The Stranger Diaries by Elly Griffiths.

This is a departure from her usual Ruth Galloway  / Magician and Copper series'.  A nice combination of Gothic horror story and modern murder mystery. Really enjoying it.

• 3 weeks later...

I picked a generic thriller from the charity table - Pursuit of Honour by Vince Flynn.  I should have known what it was going to be like from the cover... Dan Brown calls it a "sizzler"!  😁.  Maybe I've just not got to that bit yet. 

I've got The Essex Serpent to read next. 

I'm currently half way through A Delicate Truth by John Le Carre. 

The absurd and utterly unbelievable premise that a Minister of the Crown would procure services from a dodgy private company run by a close friend and paid for by taxpayers money - completely without any basis in reality. Cough.... Liam Fox...cough.... Adam Werrity....