The "I am currently reading" thread

discodown

The Master and Margarita - Mikhail Bulgakov.

I am so happy I found this book & can't believe I knew absolutely nothing about it before reading it.

Fully enjoyable with so many twists, turns and the totally unexpected all the way through.

I'm going to say quite honestly I have never read anything as intriguing as this.

For something that was written in the 1920's destroyed and re written in the 1940's then finally published in the 1960's well after the

authors death was hard for me to believe this sort of thing could have been written so long ago.

I found myself asking myself "Why Do We Read?"

Entertainment, Knowledge personal interest or even the quest to find the perfect book?

My choice of book is so wide I often find myself as with this one something purchased by chance.

four for a pound at our local Charity shop (pre shut down) this book was the one you buy to boost the number up having found the three you want and by chance this caught my eye.

For me reading is about expanding your boundaries and I often buy books simply because I don't know anything about the subject in them.

This has so far worked out well having found many good authors and expanded my knowledge on many subjects.

There is a (dubbed) TV series and various lectures about this book on You tube and I'm halfway through the TV series.

A little surprised regarding how they could achieve some of the scenes in the book on film but so far the TV program has managed to do so.

Allowing for the filming being done in a mixture of Black and White, Colour and available in sub titles or dubbed the specially affects are pretty good.

I'd definitely read the book first (avoid the introduction).

This is definitely one of those books every one should have in their collection.

Just to prove how diverse my reading is, I am now reading 'The Well Tempered Lyre' songs and verse (& history) of the Temperance Movement.

Again bought off Ebay for very little money.

Happy Reading and keep safe

Rocker.

On 21/04/2020 at 11:09, Rockers rule said:

The Master and Margarita - Mikhail Bulgakov.

I am so happy I found this book & can't believe I knew absolutely nothing about it before reading it.

Fully enjoyable with so many twists, turns and the totally unexpected all the way through.

I'm going to say quite honestly I have never read anything as intriguing as this.

For something that was written in the 1920's destroyed and re written in the 1940's then finally published in the 1960's well after the

authors death was hard for me to believe this sort of thing could have been written so long ago.

I found myself asking myself "Why Do We Read?"

Entertainment, Knowledge personal interest or even the quest to find the perfect book?

My choice of book is so wide I often find myself as with this one something purchased by chance.

four for a pound at our local Charity shop (pre shut down) this book was the one you buy to boost the number up having found the three you want and by chance this caught my eye.

For me reading is about expanding your boundaries and I often buy books simply because I don't know anything about the subject in them.

This has so far worked out well having found many good authors and expanded my knowledge on many subjects.

There is a (dubbed) TV series and various lectures about this book on You tube and I'm halfway through the TV series.

A little surprised regarding how they could achieve some of the scenes in the book on film but so far the TV program has managed to do so.

Allowing for the filming being done in a mixture of Black and White, Colour and available in sub titles or dubbed the specially affects are pretty good.

I'd definitely read the book first (avoid the introduction).

This is definitely one of those books every one should have in their collection.

Just to prove how diverse my reading is, I am now reading 'The Well Tempered Lyre' songs and verse (& history) of the Temperance Movement.

Again bought off Ebay for very little money.

Happy Reading and keep safe

Rocker.

I read for entertainment and education. Tend to alternate between fact and fiction. Fiction is usually a thriller, Scandinavian noir, espionage, military, police procedurals. Factual, generally history, generally colonial India, Africa, East Asia, or science, usually Physics.

Also other random books. I can recommend a book called The Box, about the history of shipping containers....better than it might sound!

By sheer chance I bought a copy of A Journal of The Plague Year by Daniel Defoe just before the present crisis kicked off. It's a harrowing, though second-hand account of the 1665 bubonic plague. Any household affected by the plague was locked down both night & day with watchmen in attendance to ensure no-one left the building. 

12 hours ago, fatrajah said:

By sheer chance I bought a copy of A Journal of The Plague Year by Daniel Defoe just before the present crisis kicked off. It's a harrowing, though second-hand account of the 1665 bubonic plague. Any household affected by the plague was locked down both night & day with watchmen in attendance to ensure no-one left the building. 

You will have to (if you haven't already) visit Eyam (Plague Village) 

When all this is over Fatrajah.

Stay safe - eat well

On 24/04/2020 at 09:05, Bargepole23 said:

I read for entertainment and education. Tend to alternate between fact and fiction. Fiction is usually a thriller, Scandinavian noir, espionage, military, police procedurals. Factual, generally history, generally colonial India, Africa, East Asia, or science, usually Physics.

Also other random books. I can recommend a book called The Box, about the history of shipping containers....better than it might sound!

Hello Bargepole.

I like the sound of 'the Box' I've had a quick look around & the cheapest (tight Scott's man) I could find was  £15.

One'll turn up at the right price sometime and I'll give it a go.

Till then I've plenty of books to go at, infact I went to our local library before all this started and thought I've a better selection than they had - LOL

Stay safe - Read well

4 hours ago, Rockers rule said:

You will have to (if you haven't already) visit Eyam (Plague Village) 

When all this is over Fatrajah.

Stay safe - eat well

Funnily enough I said the same thing to my family a couple of weeks back. 

We've visited on many occasions. Last time was for the Spring starling murmuration a few years back. Been up occasionally for their local artists' art showing too. And you're also very close to Bakewell, Calver village, Stoney Middleton, Hope Valley, Castleton etc.  

Can easily fill a day having a traipse around there. Good fun. 

1 hour ago, wearysmith said:

Funnily enough I said the same thing to my family a couple of weeks back. 

We've visited on many occasions. Last time was for the Spring starling murmuration a few years back. Been up occasionally for their local artists' art showing too. And you're also very close to Bakewell, Calver village, Stoney Middleton, Hope Valley, Castleton etc.  

Can easily fill a day having a traipse around there. Good fun. 

Rotor Rocks (carefull with any kids up there though), 9 Ladies, Abor low etc love the area. Did you go when the guy had all the Trabants at Middleton?

Just read: 

I hate the Internet by Jarett Kobek. Less a novel, more a 280-page rant about modern life but relatively amusing.

Murder on the links by Agatha Christie. The second outing for Hercule Poirot from 1923.

One, two, buckle my shoe by Agatha Christie. Another Poirot book but a bit later this time (1940)

Now I'm in the middle of Dr. Goodwood's Locum by John Rhode which is so far proving much better than the last one of his I read.

21 hours ago, Rockers rule said:

Hello Bargepole.

I like the sound of 'the Box' I've had a quick look around & the cheapest (tight Scott's man) I could find was  £15.

One'll turn up at the right price sometime and I'll give it a go.

Till then I've plenty of books to go at, infact I went to our local library before all this started and thought I've a better selection than they had - LOL

Stay safe - Read well

The library is always my first choice for books (I see your tight Scotsman and raise you a tight Yorkshireman :) ). Also have charity shop oddities, Oxfam at Broomhill is good for that. Also like a second hand bookshop for the same reasons, Porter books on Sharrowvale and the one at Shalesmoor. Failing that, Abe books, which is an online marketplace for loads of second hand book sellers.

Currently reading Jeff Gulvin's Swann and Harrison series, Special Branch and FBI antiterrorist thrillers. Easy entertaining reading.