The "I am currently reading" thread

discodown

10 hours ago, wearysmith said:

Grabbed the nearest Carl Hiaasen off the shelf. Read it a few times. His work is always fun. This one's about murder and greed amongst the lunker bass community in Florida. Entertaining, even though I can't stand fishing 😀.

pli1uce.jpg

I love a bit of Carl Hiassen. I assume you’ve read his latest, “Squeeze Me”. I’d read Brookmyre and Hiaasen for weeks on end, quite happily.

1 hour ago, sibon said:

I love a bit of Carl Hiassen. I assume you’ve read his latest, “Squeeze Me”. I’d read Brookmyre and Hiaasen for weeks on end, quite happily.

Nope, I'm a few behind. Last 2 I bought were Star Island and Bad Monkey. Requests around birthdays and Christmas seem to go unheeded.....

4 hours ago, wearysmith said:

Nope, I'm a few behind. Last 2 I bought were Star Island and Bad Monkey. Requests around birthdays and Christmas seem to go unheeded.....

Squeeze Me is brilliant. Buy it yourself for an October 8th present.

Do you read much Chris Brookmyre?

20 minutes ago, wearysmith said:

No, but I've just looked him up. One to investigate. They had me at Theakston’s Old Peculier.

If you like Carl Hiassen, I think you’ll approve of Brookmyre. I’d give you mine, but most of them went to the charity shop last week. If you are anywhere near Abbeydale Road, St Lukes have a selection of cut price Brookmyres😀

8 hours ago, sibon said:

If you like Carl Hiassen, I think you’ll approve of Brookmyre. I’d give you mine, but most of them went to the charity shop last week. If you are anywhere near Abbeydale Road, St Lukes have a selection of cut price Brookmyres😀

Ta for the head's up. Might have a drive out there this morning. Or go see 'Bond'. Haven't decided yet 😀

17 hours ago, sibon said:

Was there for just after 9 only to find they didn't open till 10, but two lovely ladies who worked there let me in anyway. Between them they found me 6 Brookmyres.

Also got m'self some groovy ties for work 😀 .

(Hope he's good after all this effort)

BkSeIQJ.jpg

4 minutes ago, wearysmith said:

Was there for just after 9 only to find they didn't open till 10, but two lovely ladies who worked there let me in anyway. Between them they found me 6 Brookmyres.

Also got m'self some groovy ties for work 😀 .

(Hope he's good after all this effort)

BkSeIQJ.jpg

I think you got my books. 😀

If you like them, let me know. I’ve still got some more here. I’d be happy to drop them

off.

Not the end of the world would be a good starting place. Or, When The Devil Drives.

I couldn’t get into Places in The Darkness.

Keeping Watch.

Pip Beck.

Slightly A typical, Service personnel's story during WW2.

Pip volunteers for the WAAF in 1941 and you follow her from being posted at RAF Waddington & various other stations throughout the war. 

Most of the book sounds like she had a good time, but i'm sure (as we all know) it wasn't all boyfriends dances & afternoon teas for those in the WAAF. Lots of personal recollections and story's around the people she met , places she was posted to and how they survived, or didn't in many cases.

The technical details and feeling of being part of seeing off and waiting for the return of Flights from the prospective of such a young woman radio operator are well done (& there is a glossary of terms at the end of the book).

Worth a read if you come across it.

Only disappointing bit - lack of photo's & while there is a summery of what happened to some of Pip's friends there is nothing mentioned of how she herself fared after the war.

2nd book would have been nice.

Keep safe read well.