The "I am currently reading" thread

discodown

Thanks for the recommendation Minimo.   I've just ordered the first Matilda Darke book from the library. I'm trying to buy less books 🙄

I need a new series to get into, having just finished all the Leo Stanhope series by Alex Reeve, which were excellent. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, feargal said:

Thanks for the recommendation Minimo.   I've just ordered the first Matilda Darke book from the library. I'm trying to buy less books 🙄

I need a new series to get into, having just finished all the Leo Stanhope series by Alex Reeve, which were excellent. 

I hope you enjoy them as much as I am.

• Like 1

Introduction's 

Do you hate long waffling introductions   (45 pages in this case)

To be honest I'd an idea of what I was letting myself in for even before I opened - 

Life in the fast lane.  Boris Johnson.

Written at the time he was employed as a motoring journalist.

The book starts with Boris bestowing the virtues of the (now rare) Fiat 127.

Straight away me and Boris have a connection.

Many moons ago I'd taken a 127 in part ex and used it as a runaround for a while.

Out of the 40 cars reviewed (Smart cars to Lamborghini) I myself have been lucky enough to have driven 30 of them.

As expected, there is probably more 'waffle', 'Chauvinistic' nonsense and self-obsessed egotistical (skirt chasing) twaddle than genuine reviews :huh:

Other than the 127 and having driven some pretty tasty vehicles myself, me and Boris's appear to share the same love for anything LHD.

Keep safe out there 8)

On 07/11/2022 at 14:39, Minimo said:

Has anyone read any of the Michael Wood crime novels? Set in Sheffield and featuring Matilda Darke. I've been enjoying them recently.

Matilda Darke is a fantastic name.  Sounds like she should be the lead in a young adult paranormal detective series (which is a good thing!).

Is the series gory grim, or a bit more restrained, like a Rebus?  Would love a Sheffield murder mystery series as long as victims' innards aren't lovingly depicted dripping all over bits of Park Hill.  Getting a bit squeamish in my dotage.

13 hours ago, Hecate said:

Matilda Darke is a fantastic name.  Sounds like she should be the lead in a young adult paranormal detective series (which is a good thing!).

Is the series gory grim, or a bit more restrained, like a Rebus?  Would love a Sheffield murder mystery series as long as victims' innards aren't lovingly depicted dripping all over bits of Park Hill.  Getting a bit squeamish in my dotage.

i suppose some are rather grim. Have a look on Amazon to see what is said about them. As for me, I love a bit of gore, but also like more psychological thrillers as well

On 09/11/2022 at 18:36, Hecate said:

Years ago there was a whole thread about books set in Sheffield: 

And this guy's website has a list of them too:  https://stevek1889.blogspot.com/2014/06/sheffield-novels.html

I did get some adverts for a new crime series set in Sheffield recently and I think it might have been the Adam Tyler series by Russ Thomas. Not sure whether they deliver on the goreless front though.

Thank you, @metalman.  I shall have a browse through those.  Spotted one of the Matilda Darke novels on the 1889 book blog - not enthusiastic -  plus one or two that definitely won't be taking up room on the Kindle.