The "I am currently reading" thread

discodown

I have been to Waterstones today, and bought "The Geometry Of Love" by Jane Blank.

It's set partially in Sheffield of the early 1980s. I'm very much looking forward to reading it, and reminiscing about places "I knew-and-loved", such as the Peace gardens, the Limit, The Leadmill etc, etc... ( :hihi: )

I have been to Waterstones today, and bought "The Geometry Of Love" by Jane Blank.

It's set partially in Sheffield of the early 1980s. I'm very much looking forward to reading it, and reminiscing about places "I knew-and-loved", such as the Peace gardens, the Limit, The Leadmill etc, etc... ( :hihi: )

Oooh, adds to purchase list.

I am currently reading: Female Chauvinist Pigs: Woman and the Rise of Raunch Culture by Ariel Levy

If it concerns you that vacuous celebs and It-girls are held up as role models for young women then this is the book for you. (Thinks of Jess)

Levy, like a lot of women, seems perplexed by the way that intelligent straight women are going to pole dancing clubs for kicks and that women who essentially feign desire for a living are used as a symbol of female sexual liberation.

The book primarily explores American culture, so although the points of reference may not be recognisable, the issues that she raises are universal to the West. There are chapters that deal with Playboy & SATC (to name a few) and Hooters also gets a mention.

Is is a very accessible, readable book. :thumbsup:

Ooh, only just seen this Suffy!

Certainly does look good - have not read any Levy before, although I did see a thing in the paper about her wedding not so long ago.

I've been moving some stuff from one house to another this evening and have spied loads of my books that have been on top shelves out of sight for months - I've got so much to read! Have got at least three untouched Marina Warners, for starters...

Oooh, adds to purchase list.

If you like, I can lend it to you when I've finished, (which, at the rapid rate I read, might even end up being by the time we meet up... :hihi: )

I am happy to let you borrow it; it'll save you a bit of money.

If you like, I can lend it to you when I've finished, (which, at the rapid rate I read, might even end up being by the time we meet up... :hihi: )

I am happy to let you borrow it; it'll save you a bit of money.

Ta chuck. But as a shopoholic bibliophile, I can feel a trip to Waterstone's in my lunch break tomorrow coming up! One to add to the 100 odd pile stacked by my side of the bed!

I also get paid tomorrow!!:clap::clap: But thanks anyway.:thumbsup:

I am plodding my way through The Ragged Trousered Philanthropists.....which isn't to say there is anything wrong with it...it just isn't bedtime reading. I'm reading maybe two chapters a day. Don't worry suffy, I'm not creasing the spine!

I am plodding my way through The Ragged Trousered Philanthropists.....which isn't to say there is anything wrong with it...it just isn't bedtime reading. I'm reading maybe two chapters a day. Don't worry suffy, I'm not creasing the spine!

Pleased to hear it. But then maybe a tiny crease, so that when I add it back onto my shelves, it looks like I've actually read it!:hihi:

Gave up on The Road, too depressing and just relentless. Strugling with Cloud Atlas cannot get beyond Chapter 1. Emperor's new clothes syndrome perhaps?

I just read The Road as some holiday reading, and I wish I hadn't because it was so disturbing it left a bad aftertaste. It's an amazing book with two wonderful characters, beautifully written, and ultimately very redemptive, it's just utterly disturbing and bleak. I was fascinated by how the 'Man' tries to protect his son from seeing brutal scenes as he says that once an image enters the mind it is there for good - and of course the reader gets that too!

I've heard some people say they find the language difficult though, but I ploughed through it in a few hours?

They're making a film of it too. That's something I might avoid as the book is harrowing enough. :o

Anyway, then I went out to get some more books ASAP and ended up with Engleby which I did find disappointing - the main character was such an idiot that I gave up after one chapter. Does it improve at all?

I'm currently reading "Behind the Scenes at the Museum" by Kate Atkinson and really enjoying it! Her prose style is really interesting and easy to read, it's full of black humour and poignant mmoments, and I really like the format of the book (alternate chapters are flashbacks to the history of the family). There's also a mystery being built up, which is intriguing.