The "I am currently reading" thread

discodown

Im currently reading "The Devil Drives" A life of Sir Richard Burton(no not that Richard Burton) who was one of the greatest Victorian explorers Its written by Fawn Brodie,and is very interesting up to now.

Was he the one before LIvingstone who went to find the source of the Nile with Speke?

I'm sure i've read a bit about him and he was bonkers.

I really liked Ali Smith's "Girl Meets Boy" - quite a quick read but quite peculiar, although I enjoed the prose style and general weirdness of it.

I've now started "The God Delusion" by Richard Dawkins, but I think it's going to be one that I have to read slowly and mull over a chapter at a time... I don't usually read more than one book at once, but I'm having to have something more light-hearted on the side!

On Saturday I read "The Pedant In The Kitchen" by Julian Barnes in one sitting, which was quite amusing, as I enjoy food and cooking, and my OH is a keen (and quite pedantic) cook!

On the food theme, I've now started Nigel Slater's "Toast", which again seems to be quite amusing, as well as quite evocative of all those nostalgic childhood food memories!

I have been to Waterstones today, and bought "The Geometry Of Love" by Jane Blank.

It's set partially in Sheffield of the early 1980s. I'm very much looking forward to reading it, and reminiscing about places "I knew-and-loved", such as the Peace gardens, the Limit, The Leadmill etc, etc... ( :hihi: )

Jane Blank will be signing copies of her novel (set in 1980s Sheffield) "The Geometry of Love" in Ecclesall Library tomorrow, Sat 5th July, at 10:30.

After twi fairly long train journeys yesterday I am now about halfway through 'Kafka on the Shore' by Haruki Murakami. It's very good, well written and mildly surreal.

I'm reading that at the moment too and am enjoying it.

On the food theme, I've now started Nigel Slater's "Toast", which again seems to be quite amusing, as well as quite evocative of all those nostalgic childhood food memories!

I started that at someone elses house but couldn't borrow it and couldn't finish it in time, the parts I read were fantastic, I must get hold of a copy.

Does it stay the same sort of thing throughout?

Just finished "Wild Dogs" by Helen Humpreys, which was ok - not as good as I'd heard though.

Now trying to read Milan Kundera's "The Joke" but I never really get on with Kundera...