The "I am currently reading" thread

discodown

Finally finished The Book Thief. A moving end to an otherwise mediocre book. The narrative device (of death) really didn't do it for me.:(

I enjoyed it. I liked Liesel, I liked Hans and I liked Rosa Hubbermann for all her outwardly negative features. The Jew in the basement was a bit contrived and we all know the big story isn't going to be a happy one but I did shed a tear a few times and didn't feel overtly manipulated by the author

I enjoyed it. I liked Liesel, I liked Hans and I liked Rosa Hubbermann for all her outwardly negative features. The Jew in the basement was a bit contrived and we all know the big story isn't going to be a happy one but I did shed a tear a few times and didn't feel overtly manipulated by the author

I loved Hans. And Max. And Rudy. And Liesel. I just found the narrative device a complete pain, it didn't add anything to the way the story unfolded. I also don't like getting glimpses of the future to then be thrown back into the present. And being a non-German speak the bits of German dialogue irritated me.

Tried reading 'Blood Sympathy' by Reginald Hill. Boring - can't get into it, so after 46 pages I've dumped it. In a charity shop in York I picked up 'It's Been a Piece of Cake' which is a tribute to his favourite cricketers by Brian Johnston. I'll give that a go next.

I loved Hans. And Max. And Rudy. And Liesel. I just found the narrative device a complete pain, it didn't add anything to the way the story unfolded. I also don't like getting glimpses of the future to then be thrown back into the present. And being a non-German speak the bits of German dialogue irritated me.

Finished this book recently too. I agree about the narrative device being irritating on occasion, but it was quirky, and probably the reason that I picked the book in the first place. If the jacket had said something like "this is the story of a young girl growing up with a foster family in Nazi Germany" I would probably not have bothered! I don't think it got in the way of me enjoying the book, so on balance, I think it was a good thing.

Not sure why all the bits of German were necessary, apart from that if the swearing was in English it might have put some people off!

I am really enjoying The Steep Approach to Garbadale by Iain Banks.

It feels and reads a lot like The Crow Road, which is one of his best, but with a lighter touch. There is the familiar odd extended family story and the "cousin" :suspect: who the main protagonist is in love with and a death in the past which will no doubt prove to not be as was first thought. All typical Banksian stuff:thumbsup:

I've just started reading HG Wells' War of the Worlds again this afternoon.

Might even watch the Jeff Wayne musical tonight, I've got it on DVD, and it was on Sky yesterday so I Sky Plussed it.