The "I am currently reading" thread

discodown

Words of Mercury by Patrick Leigh Fermor, an anthology of travel writing. Utterly captivating. He walked from the Netherlands to Constantinople, starting in December 1933 (aged 18) arriving on New Years Day 1935. Later he was commissioned into the Intelligence Corps and spent time in Crete living among the shepherds and mountain people. He led a mission to capture a German general and remove him from the island which was later filmed as 'Ill-met by moonlight' starring Dirk Bogarde.

I've just read through all 26 pages of this thread and have added loads of books to my "wishlist"

Surprised that nobody has mentioned the No 1 Ladies Detective Agency series so far. I had an operation on Friday so have needed something that I don't really have to think too much about and have read the first three in the series. I have enjoyed them although they are a teeny bit predictable but they are just what the doctor ordered!

Have also recently read The Catcher In The Rye which I was completely underwhelmed by, and am re-reading The Handmaid's Tale as I read it for uni a few years ago and didn't really have chance to digest it properly.

I'm going to be working away from home for the next 9 weeks so can see myself reading an awful lot.

Words of Mercury by Patrick Leigh Fermor, an anthology of travel writing. Utterly captivating. He walked from the Netherlands to Constantinople, starting in December 1933 (aged 18) arriving on New Years Day 1935. Later he was commissioned into the Intelligence Corps and spent time in Crete living among the shepherds and mountain people. He led a mission to capture a German general and remove him from the island which was later filmed as 'Ill-met by moonlight' starring Dirk Bogarde.

That sounds very interesting. I saw a documentary featuring Fermour once. It's called the 11th Day and I enjoyed it. It's about the start of the Battle of Crete.

http://www.amazon.com/11th-Day-Greek-English-Multilanguage/dp/B000LV639K/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1219070949&sr=8-1

I'm currently reading Use of Weapons by Iain M. Banks.

Not a massive fan of science fiction but really enjoying it so far - it's imaginative, gripping, beautifully written and surprisingly funny.

Its my favourite book of all time - I predict you'll want to re-read it as soon as you've finished

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Steig Larsson. Its translated from the Swedish and the author died before the book was published.

I've just finished this and it was brilliant, un-putdownable, gripping and full of passion. Quite the most outstanding debut novel I've read for years and I just can't wait to get my hands on the rest of the trilogy written before the author's death.

It had well developed characters, a multi layered story that hooked me from page one, a sinister secret buried in the past with present day ramifications, plus a fair dollop of sex and violence.

It also has much to say about the Swedish social model - reminiscent of Peter Hoeg's Borderliners about the treatment of children and child welfare.

It's also well written and distinctly Scandinavian.